Back up, son. There was another writer? On my turf?
Back in the day, I never much worried about competition. Then, I met Joe Man (not his name), the regional reporter for a big-name publication. Joe Man shouldered me out of interviews, rewrote articles from our publication for his publication (without any evidence of his own research contributing to it), and hungrily jotted down the answers to my very poignant questions.
So, now, when I hear there's a writer on my turf, I go all, "Whaaat? My story, bitchez. Let's roll."
I turn into a territorial writer monster. I'm not sure what that looks like, but when I'm done writing my post, maybe I'll work that out in MS Paint.
On this particular day, I dealt with the enemy in absolutely the bitchiest, mean-high-school girl way possible: BGJ, my friends - befriend, grill, judge.
To be fair, Paul Worky, who henceforth will be called "Mayim Bialik," had the most ridiculous fucking hat I've ever seen. Take away the flower, and cut the hair short, and he looked precisely like this:
Pretty sure this is a "Blossom" publicity shot, but if it happens not to be, let me know if it's yours. Thanks.
Which? Is adorable on 13-year-old Blossom. However, a 45-year-old man with a cutesy fold in his fishing cap needs to be taken down a peg. His outfit screamed "dickhead."
I know this makes me sound ugly. I know you're all thinking I must be that girl.
I guarantee you, I am not. I am a straight-up ladyist, and I love befriending people for real. Most of the time, I'm too friendly, hand-on-Bible.
But, this guy ... this guy had it coming. I sidled up to Mayim Bialik, and as soon as I felt he was comfortable enough with me, I started in on him.
During my mean-girl interview, Mayim claimed the following:
- He is a freelancer from the tri-state area and has been published in several places.
OK. Believable.
- It is impossible to live off freelance writing alone, so all freelancers must edit, as well.
Hm. I know some freelance writers who are doing just fine. Perhaps, Mayim Bialik needs to work on his writey skillz. As your TV brother, Joey, would say, "Whoa."
- No one makes money blogging. He laughed at the idea.
Should I start a list, Mayim Bialik, or should you and I have a father-daughter talk about how lots of writers use their blogs to market their work and that a blog could be a great tool for someone who is having a hard time selling his work? No?
- He has been published in a variety of big-name publications, which he tried to list a little too casually.
It was at this point that my friend, City Girl, stopped believing you. I googled you, dude. Not seeing a whole lot. I'm not sure I believe you, either. I find scant references to your work online, and that makes me doubt you have published in the places you were so quick to list. Do you feel you're not legitimate if you don't have big names behind you? Would you be selling out if you, say, marketed your writing? How about a LinkedIn page, my friend? Business cards? A website? Anything? Bueller? Bueller?
- He was asked by The New Yorker to write something, but really wasn't interested.
I totally know what you mean, man. If you really want to be serious about freelancing, you don't want one of the country's most prestigious publications holding you back. Look at Malcom Gladwell and Joyce Carol Oates. Both still writing for The New Yorker, careers in the toilet. It's a real shame they don't have your insight.
Sarcasm aside, dude, this is when I knew you were full of shit or crazy. I'm guessing by your ridiculous hat, it could go either way.
*Sigh* I always feel so guilty at the end of C-U-Next-Tuesday. By the time I write about something that annoyed me, I'm not that angry about it anymore. Plus? It just doesn't feel like me. C-U-Next-Tuesday might not be long for the world. Maybe I'll come up with a new blog gimmick. You people like gimmicks, right? Maybe "Free Car Deodorizer Friday" or something ... I'll work on it.

That was the second Mayim Bialik reference I have encountered in the past ten minutes. The first was on Mad TV. Strange, seeing as I haven't thought of her since Blossom was on the air.
ReplyDeleteAnger writing is great!! No one's ever as angry in reality as they might come across in writing. Or at least, that's the excuse I frequently use.
ReplyDeletePlus, any opportunity to draw comparisons between a top class a-hole's dress sense and Blossom is worth sharing. Really funny stuff.
What *is* that hat about?
I'm a gimick SLUT.
ReplyDeleteBut I totally feel you about the territorial place. At my old job, the boss in his infinite wisdom decided to hire a second marketing coordinator/sales person and she was this lreally nice girl and I *KNEW* she was after my job. And guess who got laid off? Yup -- ME. So it's good to trust your instincts.
Oh that Mayim Bialik sounds like a thunderdouche! and if you don't want to be "that girl," I will. I wear cattiness like a slutty pair of heels, with confidence, a smidge of bitchiness, and a fuck me attitude.
ReplyDeleteHahaha, Mayim Bialik. I miss that show!
ReplyDeleteI totally get that "competitive" nature thing, though. When I was a lowly intern at a Chicago hospital, there was only one vacant desk in the office. It was currently being used by the intern who was there prior to me, but when she left a few weeks later I was told I could use it for the remainder of my 8 week stint there. The following week, a new girl started and immediately commandeered the desk! Without asking! Without working her way up to "senority" status to EARN that desk!
I was livid. But instead of choosing the BGJ method, I went with the CSI method: Condescend, Sneer, Ignore.
When she asked where I was attending Grad School, I snottily told her. She responded that she'd never heard of it, so I shot back, "Really? It's only the number one school in the country for [our chosen profession]. Where do *you* go?"
Some local college. Psh. Amateur.
Anyway, not proud of how I acted, she was probably very nice, but she should have known better than to steal my desk.
Things I like in a blog:
ReplyDelete1) GIMMICKS
2) ugliness
3) catiness
4) SARCASM
5) pointing fingers and laughing at random men who wear "Blossom" hats
You kick ass!
Wow! You come up with SUCH great fake names!!! Plus mean girl references! Every day, I love you more!
ReplyDeleteWow. That guy really did bother you. I was just angry that he was monopolizing our time. I wanted to elbow him and be like Hey, this is my friend and we only get to see each other every few months. We got shit to talk about. Butt out. He was clearly pulling our legs the whole time. You were completely nice to him though. No mean girl persona.
ReplyDelete"He was asked by The New Yorker to write something, but really wasn't interested."
ReplyDeleteMaybe this is why he is having trouble freelancing. As seductive as they might initially seem, promotional articles for "Ted's House of Fish and Condiments" just don't get as much exposure in the long run.
Also, he sounds like a total try-too-hard douche. And I think I had a crush on the responsible older brother who did not say "woah."
You gotta get over your snark aversion. We likes it. Especially when you rag on douchey writer-types.
ReplyDeleteI'm a reporter for a newspaper (dying industry! there, I said it before you did) and was once told by an aspiring fiction writer who self publishes his misogynistic dross that calling what I do being a "paid writer is like telling a NASCAR fan you're a paid driver if you deliver pizzas."
Funny thing is, the guy lived in his parents basement and had recently lost his job delivering pizzas.
There's really only one question to ask, and that's, "How did you find MY Mayim Bialik picture?!?!"
ReplyDeleteIt's okay. I'll lend it to you for this special occasion.
Lorrraine.
miss.chief - That always happens to me.
ReplyDeleteJo - No idea. The hat is just ridic.
Amanda - Dude. NEED that story on your blog.
andygirl - I kind of want to date you, now.
T - Again, NEED the full story.
Spanky - No, you kick ass, man. *tear*
Jules - I love you, too, man. Is it just me, or is it getting very beer-lovey in here?
linda - Writer. on my. territory. I should write about the time I overheard the county council woman, SH, talking smack about me. Back me up on the Blossom outfit, though. Isn't that pretty much what he was wearing, taking away the flower and replacing the sweater with a sensible, lightweight windbreaker?
Curiosity - Ted's House of Fish and Condiments. I really need to see this place. The thought of such an establishment keeps making me laugh. I keep imagining a one-eyed fisherman saying, "Arrgghhh, more ketch'p fer yer cod?"
Ells - What the fuck is wrong with self-published fiction writers? That anecdote pretty much sums up the personality of every single one of them. I'm 90 percent sure he was half-drunk and hitting on you during the same conversation. Am I right, or am I right?
Lorraine - Only perverts take pictures of Mayim Bialik. A pervert says "what?"
YOU ARE RIGHT. Thanking god on the regular that he moved away. Although I'm sure he'll be back. Mommy's basement beckons.
ReplyDeleteLazy perverts steal picture of Mayim Bialik. Lazy pervert say, "w."
ReplyDeleteElls - Booya!
ReplyDeleteLorraine - w?
Lazy pervert, heeheehee!
ReplyDeleteI knew it.
You obviously aren't THAT GIRL...demonstrated by your last paragraph. Haha. I think blogging is good therapy. Maybe that's why you weren't pissed off anymore by the end. So maybe that should convince you to keep C-U-Next-Tuesday. Also, you can keep making fun of Mayim here because he doesn't blog.
ReplyDeleteThat poor guy probably has a lot of cats.
ReplyDeleteWell put!
ReplyDeleteAny time I see somebody that transparently pathetic, I start to suspect they're really just fishing for sympathy.
I like people who has a sense of humor,
ReplyDeleteyou ARE one of them...
Happy Friday!
How about Smack You Into Next Wednesdays?
ReplyDeleteHonestly. What's the world coming to when you can't trust adults who dress like child stars?
ReplyDeleteLorraine - It was a set-up!
ReplyDeleteTara - Poor Mayim. I'm a meanie.
Bridget - But I doubt he gets much pussy.
dogimo - I think he wanted to feel superior because we are younger writers.
Jingle - Thanks!
Elly Lou - LOVE that.
tattytiara - Good damn point. Maybe I should stop sending the kids to the babysitter who dresses up like those guys in The Wiggles. It's a shame ... he just seems to love kids so much.