Thursday, April 1, 2010

Putting the Anal in Holy Week

You ever try to pull something together into a joke and no matter how you force it, it just falls flat?

I spent the last few days at my parents' house. I had the luxury of showering, uninterrupted, for 20 straight minutes, two days in a row.

Wednesday, in the shower, thoughts of blogging began to take over my brain, and I started thinking about writing another Lenten post, about how God must have a sense of humor, and how I'm probably going to Hell because I put the ... hmmmm ... anal in Christi-anal-ity? Mm, not quite. Cathanalocism?

I put the anal in ... let's see ... benevolence ... banalovence ... noooo, that doesn't work.

Let's just say it went downhill from there and that I came to the conclusion that I'm just a fornicator, but I'll never be a sexually-practicing gay man because, among other reasons (lack of penis playing a big part here), I will never, ever let anything in my outbox. Ever.

Ever.

Ever again.

Anyway.

Where were we? Oh, yes. I'm having a 30-something crisis. Gawd! Do you remember that show? Those were some melodramatic yuppies, man. I don't think television has since or will ever again witness such an influx of L.L. Bean. They're probably still riding off the profits from that.

Well, that, and from all the plaid flannel they sold to the Northern Exposure wardrobe department.

I don't mean to come down on Bean. They make a helluva duck boot.

And I hear their monogrammed, cedar-chip dog beds are quite nice.

It's just that I got over L.L. Bean in the 1988-1989 school year, right about the time I swept oak-and-brass furniture and Tretorns out of my life.

Incidentally, that's also the year of my second round of crushes, my first crush being the previous summer, when I found myself head-over-heels for a clueless, ruddy-cheeked, adventuresome boy called G. Willie (not a joke; really his name; I liked a cleverly disguised dick joke even before I knew what one was).

I met G. Willie at nature camp, and I went along with all his adventures, such as claiming an abandoned camp cabin in the woods as his new club house. He had this adorable lisp for a 12-year-old (I was 9), and he was so, so smart about naturey things and what to do with a stick. Honh, honh, honh! (Say it all Frenchy.)

Also? G. Willie had messy hair, which turns out? Total turn-on for me throughout my life. Mm. I love me some messy geek.

Anyway.

What was I saying?

Right. 1988-1989 school year. The year of Daniel and Larry. *sigh*

Daniel R. and Larry H. sat across from me in our four-square table of arranged desks next to the teacher's desk (partially because we were the smart kids, and partially because we never shut up), and I was romantically torn. Neither knew my feelings, but still, I couldn't decide.

Larry probably eventually won me over because Daniel was cast as Romeo in the 8th-grade play, so that pretty much gave Larry a big plus. Did I mention I like geeks?

Anyway, Danel R. and Larry H. both had messy chocolate hair, although Daniel's was a little wavier and Larry's was shiny and almost black. Ruddy cheeks on both. Both easy to blush.

Larry had a charming smile and a twinkle in his eye that were almost - dareIsay - complimented by his big, gapped front teeth.

Daniel had fair skin, freckles and was just a little bit whiney - which, for those of you not in the know of 5th grade lust - equals angst a la characters played by John Cusack. Also, he looked very similar to Harry Potter in the first movie. Totes adorable, no?

This is all completely pointless, and I really don't know where I was going with the Saga of Daniel R. and Larry H.

Somehow I was going to bring this story 'round to the reasons I cannot give PHubby a blow j. tonight.

Sooo, here: something, something, segue, amusing quip, snark.

I just spent several days with the kids, visiting my parents. He's been alone and lonely. I came home to a very clean and sweet-smelling house. He totally deserves some oral.

I curled up next to him on the couch, totally exhausted, and told him it's not just because I'm tired that I'm planning not to blow him tonight and that I would provide a list.

1. The flowering trees are blooming, and the postnasal drip makes me feel like I have vaginosis of the uvula. Scratchy and swollen.

This made him ask how many times I've had vaginosis.

Shit. *Busted.*

"Never. It's just what I bet it would feel like. Only in my throat."

2. Our son has been yelling for four days. (He's 3. I've now given up and am OK with being labeled a bad parent.)

3. Although tomorrow is the most solemn of the Christian calendar, I'm 90 percent sure our kids were conceived on Good Friday before service. We'll be fasting. I'll need the sustenance.

4. I'm fucking tired.

And for all of those reasons, I am prematurely ending this blog post. If PHubby prematurely ended anything, he wouldn't have to wait.

21 comments:

  1. Harry was only cute in the first movie. Ron Weasley, however? I like the way that boy has grown. Mmm hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure it says no BJs on good Friday in the bible. And also the whole week before. Yeah, I think that is totally true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda's right. I went to a Christian college and we learned that in one of my "Bible classes." It's the WHOLE week before. It's in the book of Job.

    Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you're going to have to blow him twice. Maybe around Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ells - WITH you.

    Amanda - Slow nod. He'll have to suffer for Jesus. Think of the Passion, PHubby. It's a small sacrifice.

    Jules - Heheh. Book of Job. Blow job. I am so going to Hell.

    Logical Libby - Good idea. That's the week of our anniversary, so it should work out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I put the anal in cryptanalytic. When they suggest that route, I give them the secret sign.

    Or the anal in unanalyzed. That's right. Putting a stop to that shit since 200...8.

    Over from Jules and enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am a total lover of geeks as well. i also agree wholeheartedly with @Ells on the Ron Weasley bit. i'd totally pork him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...Is there anything about root canals in the Bible? No? How about analgesics?

    If I wasn't such a blasphemer, I would probably know these things. I swear I saw something about dental hygiene on page five.

    Ah well. Hell date, anybody? I will meet you by the fifth glutton from the left. ...I hear the place is just wall to wall Starbucks anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amanda and Jules- stop encouraging her. My name is PHubby, and I did not endorse this message

    ReplyDelete
  10. SHOW US YOUR TITS! Oh wait, we're not doing that anymore. Jesus hates blow jobs. I saw it embroidered on a pillow once so it must be true.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, I'm not catholic so I don't know the rules, but I think your best bet at an excuse would be something about lent and meat.

    The sad thing is that with all the bj talk, the thing I will remember most about this post is that you liked a guy named Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Penis=meat so no meat on Good Friday! You are good. Also I remember the actors on 30 something looking so old! So I am 30...does that I mean I look that old??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Apparently I'm the only one who caught your sly segue from experimenting with anal to junior high love. Far be it from me to make assumptions, but a run-down cabin in the middle of the woods seems like just as good a place as any to be de-starfished.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i think now would be the perfect time to go ahead and get the bj out of the way. the element of surprise usually ensures a quick turnaround...

    ReplyDelete
  15. OtherWorldlyOne - Likewise. Love your writing style. Love.

    meandthebee - I <3 u for bringing "pork" back into my life.

    Curiosity - Does that mean NO STARBUCKS IN HEAVEN!? Say what you will about Starbucks, but I love it. I drink what corporate America tells me to drink, and I want it available everywhere, dammit.

    PHubby - Less typey-typey, more scrubby-scrubby. I'm tallying points.

    EllyLou - You've just inspired me to open a store that sells pillows embroidered with such things.

    OG - If you only knew his last name, you wouldn't be laughing about the "Larry." Sadly. Still, he was a hotty for a 5th grader.

    TheRandomBlogette - No, absolutely not. I'm 31, and I look fresh as a flower.

    Jay Ferris - Bahahahahahahahahaha! "De-starfished." Awesome. Maybe if I'd tried anal before the penises of my love interests were fully developed, I wouldn't have such an aversion to the act.

    Simone - Ahmpff mmmp phmmahw phawhmmp. Phwmmph?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The anus shouldn't be mocked - it's one of those things that's more useful than it sounds. Usually, it's the other way round.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the ramblings of a crazy person? Haha. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorilla Bananas - Au contraire, mon frere. The anus was designed for mockery.

    Tara - Indeed. Happy Easter to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to stop drinking while reading your blog. I can count two times in the past month when I was trying to swallow whiskey and laugh at the same time and ended up with whiskey coming out my nose. Tonight was the second time (after reading that title). Do you know how much it hurts to snort whiskey through your nose? Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Charm City Barfly - Gawd, that makes me want to hang out with you. The whiskey, the snort-laugh, everything. Once, I laughed so hard, chewed up pickle went out my nose. That was really painful. Let that be a lesson to you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've always had a soft spot for the nerdy boys.

    ReplyDelete