It's the rage beside the rage.
Does PHubby love me more than I love him, or am I really a lot less annoying than he is?
I mean, I could list about a hundred things he does that annoy me, and I am completely aware that a bunch of it is not his fault and that I am just an old, crotchety, only child who really likes her alone time and is spending lots of quality time with Phubby now that he is laid off and I am working from home and OMG, when is he ever going to leave???? But, I mean. I totally love him. Not even sarcastically. I do. He's great.
I'm just a bad person.
And what makes all this worse?
He is so fucking nice. Seriously, if you don't get along with PHubby, it's almost definitely your fault.
He is especially nice to me. He is always asking if I need anything, bringing me refreshing beverages, and recommending I schedule massages.
I know.
Also? He caters to my annoying idiosyncrasies.
Farting in my sleep? Doesn't even mention it, unless I bring up how I woke myself up farting and I'm really sorry about the gas. Even then, he just casually laughs it off.
Really, the only time he gets cross with me is when I hold the phone between my ear and shoulder, but that's only because he's looking out for my best interest. (My shoulder gets knots in it.) And the only other time was when the kids were younger and I didn't wash the milk out of their sippie cups during the day, because I didn't have time to pee or brush my teeth (not an exaggeration), let alone rinse out their stupid fucking sippie cups, and I would have appreciated him getting off my ass about it already, but we went to therapy and I heard his words and I acknowledged his feelings and their validity and we've moved on together as partners in life and parenting.
And now I wash out the fucking sippie cups because I don't need to pay someone hundreds of dollars to bullshit PHubby into thinking I value his opinion on sippie cups and no longer want to lunge across the room with my fork and stab him in the jugular. Ahem. Where was I?
Right. PHubby. Two times. Two things in 12 years I can think of that annoyed him.
Meanwhile, he chews a little loudly or brushes crumbs onto the floor (ever heard of a napkin?) and I give him the death stare. It looks like this:
I know. I suck. And, like I previously mentioned, he caters to my idiosyncrasies.
My biggest pet peeve in life is wet hands and coffee grounds.
Seriously, I would rather have to comb chewed gum out of my hair than wipe cold coffee grounds off my knuckles. I would rather someone peel my eyeballs like grapes and pop them, bloodied, back into my sockets than have icky wet coffee fingers. I would rather my labia be skinned and my clitoris seared with a cigarette lighter, while Satan rams poisonous fire darts into all my orifices, than have to remove wet grounds from the skin between my fingers.
I would rather - you know what? Let's just leave it there. I think you catch my drift.
Anyway, one of the nicest things PHubby does for me is clean my cappuccino maker, even though he doesn't drink anything made with espresso at home.
I'm over the moon every time I decide to make myself a mocha and find the espresso maker completely clean. I think, "Aw. He loves me. He's so thoughtful. Lalala."
Then, I twirl a little, make my mocha, write a sonnet, and squirt.
Lately, though, lately, I've begun to notice a pattern with the espresso maker, and I'm pretty sure that it is in your best interest that I stop putting out on a regular basis.
Sorry. You'll probably have to click to enlarge this.


I bet your fetish is having sex in a bed of wet coffee grounds.
ReplyDeleteAdmit it. You know it's true.
Then the labia skinning kind of makes sense.
People that nice and easy going are just not natural.
ReplyDeleteI had a guy friend for 11+ years that got angry at me ONCE and was over it in 2.5 seconds. But as much as I loved him, some of his habits would drive me up the fucking wall: constantly elbowing me and going "eh, eh?!" then laughing like a fucktard, wearing loafers with everything, SWEATERVESTS AKA garmets woven from the nipple hair of Satan, etc etc.
So yeah. I feel ya, overly sensitive sister.
P.S. - How lucky are you?! :)
So the cleaner the espresso machine the more bizarre graphics you create? I might have to think about this one a moment....
ReplyDeleteAnything to take my mind off all the horrible things you just suggested happen to your kayak. Though I'm starting to see that watercolor with whole new eyes.
I've got a directly proportionate chart for you... it's in my pants. Also, your chart looks like a connect the dots version of my crooked morning semi. (No, not really... well, maybe).
ReplyDeleteAnd the main reason you never annoy me is that I lack the attention span and the short term memory to be specifically aware of your casual behaviors. Plus, I'm like super-nice and easy going.
And finally, your nocturnal flatulence smells like a wonderful mix of comfort, love, familiarity, loyalty, security, inspiration, caring, pms, broccoli, and hot garbage. They're intoxicationg... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Im a spoiled, cranky, old, only child too. My dh sounds much like yours. I always feel so badly when I get mad at him and imagine strangling him in his sleep or putting visine in his coffee so that he will shit like a goose all day. Umm.. what was I saying? Oh yes... good men are hard to find but hard men are good to find. . that wasn't what I was going to say either. Hmm. what.. was...I... going... to .... say??
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain. We have rage and niceness in exactly the same proportions. I live in a state of perpetual guilty wrath, mostly for various household things like cleaning the countertops (you can just use your hand to sweep the crumbs off you know), and putting stuff back in the same place (measuring spoons in the cutlery drawer please). Also? Two words: toilet brush.
ReplyDeleteFork stabbing is really universal. Even the best men inspire this in crazy ladies like you and me. Forgive yourself.
ReplyDeleteI'm one of 4 children and I'm STILL spoiled and cranky and old. And the image of coffee grounds on wet hands made me cringe :)
ReplyDeletelove the blog by the way!
your death stare is epic. I will need to perfect mine should I ever wish to be married one day. maybe lack of a death stare is why I'm single. men must love that shit.
ReplyDeletealso, you rule at chart making. I am jealous. the end.
You're not the only one whose hubby is completely kind and nice but yet annoying. Mine's the same way. How about yesterday when he dumped out all my floor cleaner because he needed the spray bottle to spray the cats for doing something wrong, then after I yelled at him about that, dumped out the water and left it in the sink (thats' my pet peeve -- dishes in the sink).
ReplyDelete"Seriously, if you don't get along with PHubby, it's almost definitely your fault."
ReplyDeleteYour PHubby and my Husband would probably enjoy having a beer together, whilst you and I smear eyeliner all over our faces, giggling insanely.
Lol, I really enjoy your graph. Very scientific like.
ReplyDeleteMy bf, R, sounds a lot like PHubby. He puts up with my irrational mood swings, my spontaneous sound effects, my inability to keep my running narrative to myself during movies and tv shows, my intentional belching, my farting and then saying "I OWN IT!," my mooching off of his plate, insistence on peeing and pooping with the door open etc...
God, seeing that all in writing makes me seem like an awesome significant other. I'd want to date me!
I am MUCH more annoying than my husband. Yet, he says nothing. Sometimes I worry he's just saving it all up for one huge smackdown.
ReplyDeleteMy wife is not so much burdened with an overly nice husband. If she was, I'm sure she'd empathize, because she sounds a lot like you. (When I read your posts, I like to imagine them her reading them to me out loud. While wearing a tasteful vinyl nurse's outfit.)
ReplyDeleteYour husband sounds amazing. And now I'm in the awkwardly weird position of hoping you hold out on him a bit more.
ReplyDeleteNever thought I'd type that comment.
I'm notoriously terribly at reading graphs, but it looks like you're saying the more thoroughly he cleans the machine, the longer he has to wait to get some?
ReplyDeleteMoooooog35 - Don't let my display with the wine bottle fool you. I am frigid and puritanical. No fetishes for me. Just good ol' American missionary style. Oh - and pony play. Neeeeiiiiggghhhh.
ReplyDeleteotherwordlyone - Please tell me he wore socks with the loafers because otherwise you should have ended the friendship before it started.
Elly Lou - I heart you for so many reasons, but the "kayak" term is a big part of that.
PHubby - You're sitting next to me on the couch, almost as drunk as I am, yelling at the villainous woman who threatened Amy Poehler's job on "Parks & Rec" because the woman is threatened by the gay marriage of penguins. Seriously, you're fired up. Oh. Wait. Now you're yelling about how you think "Get Him to the Greek" is not going to be as funny as everyone thinks it's going to be. Also, the cat is sleeping next to you, but the only part of him touching you is his asshole, fyi. Love you.
Midwestern Mama Holly - Indeed. A hard man, good to find. Well put.
puncturedbicycle - Word. Also, PHubby had not touched the toilet brush in years until the other day, when he found our 3yo daughter playing with it and flipped out.
bitethebedbugs - Good advice. Done.
spokeit - Thanks! I'mma check yours out, too.
andygirl - Apparently, being a vile bitch works for nice guys. Who says they finish last, eh?
Amanda - Dude, we live strangely parallel lives. Last week, PHubby told me not to use the water squirt bottle on the cats, because he was using to store extra carpet cleaner solution.
Margaret - Let's wait until they pass out and draw eyeliner all over them.
Simply "T" - I kind of want to date you, now, too.
Logical Libby - PHubby laughed unreasonably hard at your comment, and now I'm a little nervous.
Didactic Pirate - Does it ever worry you that I might be your wife undercover, and you don't know because I'm blogging anonymously, and also, you talk in your sleep.
steff - That makes you a good and lucky woman.
Megan - He said you suck.
Bridget - Guilt curve not pictured.
I'm impressed that he read this whole post without getting pissed. Until I read his comment I did not fully believe you. My husband would be furious if there were a graph depicting our sex life....or if I proposed the idea of holding out for cleaning.
ReplyDeleteHmmmm....
mmmm...espresso. I'm comming over. I will clean it after. Okay if I compost the grounds outside?
ReplyDelete