Friday, June 4, 2010

Rainbows and Labyrinth

Well, shove a horseshoe up my ass and call me "Lucky."

Yesterday, I learned I got the mentor of my choice for first semester, I received a random e-mail from someone complimenting my real-life work, and I saw a double rainbow.

A double rainbow.

There is nothing funny about any of that. I'm just literally so excited about it that I can't keep it to myself, and it's my blog, so I get to brag.

Also? I gained 90 pregnancy pounds and I have very few stretch marks and only a few of those pounds left.

See? Lucky. Brag. Brag. Brag.

Leaving a comment on another blog this morning reminded me what a weird kid I was. (It doesn't take much.) Her blog post involved a fantasy boyfriend and a fantasy dog. I'm pointing this out, so when, at the bottom of this post, I show you the type of dog I want, you won't say, "Well, that was random."

Because this blog is anything but random. It is a carefully worded, well thought-out plan of ...

OMG! My mother-in-law is bringing over short ribs for us to grill tonight!!!

*sigh* Summer tastes like corn and barbecue sauce ...

Which?  Reminds me of this time we went over to our friends' house before any of us had kids, and BFF made PHubby cupcakes for his birthday. And the cupcakes were decorated with candy corn because PHubby loves candy corn more than he loves Jesus, me, and sex, combined.

(Clarification: Not like he loves having sex with Jesus and me, together, in a threesome (or would it be a trinitiy?); just, if you take the sum of the separate love he has for Jesus, sex, and me, and compare it to his love of candy corn, candy corn wins.)

We were inebriated in the way that makes you think super deep about stuff. As I ate my cupcake, I spent a long time staring at the bowl of candy corn on BFF's table, and, suddenly, I realized everyone was staring at me. I took this as a cue to share my innermost thought at the moment, so I said, "Scarecrows have candy corn fingers."

Because that was the exact thing I had been contemplating for five minutes. It just made so much sense at the time, and I had never thought of it before.

Let's just say no one else found it as fascinating, and much laughter ensued.

PHubby and my friends are assholes, kind of.



Back to the action: I was a weird kid. I know you probably couldn't guess that now, seeing as how I turned out so normal and professional. If you had to choose three words to describe me, I bet they'd be elegant, poised and collected.

That is what you all think of me, right after you get over the fact that I rarely use the serial comma.

(Let me tell you something about the serial comma: the only reason you like it is because your teachers taught you it was proper, and fourth-graders are know-it-all assholes.
I've edited teachers' work. Granted, I was editing high school science teachers, but it's important for the world to know that one of those eight or so teachers I edited was a decent writer. ONE.
I couldn't believe the rest got through a middle school ditto, let alone a four-year institution of higher learning.)

So, surprise, surprise, I was an odd child. It's what happens when you live in a rural area as an only child.

When friends came over to play, they loved to play dress-ups because my mom gave me all her old prom and homecoming and bridesmaid gowns to use.

Once we were dressed up, we'd play one of our favorite pretend games - to have boyfriends and kiss them for 20 minutes on end.

Sometimes, the boyfriends were in the air. Other times, they were opposite ends of my bookshelves. (Insert "woody" joke here.)

When we couldn't agree on who would get to have David Bowie as Goblin King Jareth from Labyrinth ...

Moment of awed silence, please.

... we would each pick a fake boyfriend name - careful never to pick the name of a boy in our class because ew, boys are gross.

My preferred name? P.

Guess who has two thumbs and married a P? This guy.

My luck just keeps coming.

And here's the dog I want:

I'mma name him Rick James.

I don't know anything about the breed. At all. I just want one, so I can make fun of its fur.

But we won't get him a companion, because Rick James likes to smack a bitch.

Love you!
XXOO!
 - Sarah P

35 comments:

  1. Now I'm all kinds of worried about your reading my writing. Is she grading it? Do I sound stoopid? What if I spell something wrong?? Be kind, I'm a weird only child too.

    btw...... David Bowie is a GOD among men. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMH - No, blog writing is different. I write like a tool on this blog, 4 reelzies, yo, and kind of on purpose. Hakuna Mafuckintata. (heh! tata.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is it. I am going to be you when I grow up? Okay? Okay. Glad that's settled. Rick James can come along too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A double rainbow?

    You should buy that dog, name him Rick James, and have him make all your stock market investment choices. Clearly this is leading to some massive good luck windfall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damnit! I was about to make a Rick James joke when I saw that dog. Then I scrolled down and saw the caption. (Did I ever tell you about when I saw Rick James in concert when Superfreak was on the radio in a non-ironic way? The opening act was the guy who sang "She's a Bad Mamma Jamma")

    When I went through the teaching credential program, we had to do a lot of peer review of papers. It was horrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a Sunday School teacher that said we should remember that God is everywhere. Some uncomfortable squirming ensued when someone asked if God watched people make babies. She should've had a picture of the Rick James dog to distract our eight year old minds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just between you and me, Steamy once made me laugh so hard I got my period. Which, on a scale of 1 to Tenpax, is totally a 10...and you are fast approaching that area. I mean, not *my* area, just the scale area. You know. And stuff.

    Fuck.

    RICK JAMES!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love me some candy corn as well. I can't help myself. It's just way too good.

    That dog's hair is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Remember back in primary school, trading papers for peer editing and being absolutely floored by what awful writers some of the other kids were? And of course, the kid who wound up with your brilliant piece was, way, way too dumb to give you any useful feedback?

    When I was a kid, my stepdad taught freshman writing at a MAJOR private university. Sometimes I'd look over his shoulder when he was grading papers, and I couldn't believe those people were in college.

    It hurts my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok. I say this with sincere respect.

    When I read your blog, I come out of it looking utterly fried, with crazy eyes. Like you know, how one looks after being abused during some crazy sex.

    Am I sharing too much?

    All I know is your blog makes my brain orgasm. And that, my naked cupcake eater, is a big compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You want a dog that looks like the guitarist from Queen?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, a Freddie Mercury dog to go with Rick James. I bet Freddie could hold his own....think about it. And, if it doesn't work out I'm sure Freddie would die young anyway.

    (Too soon? Still?)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So embarrassing. I had that exact same dog perm right about the time I was daydreaming about licking Jareth's ken-doll-esque crotch lump.

    Two things that scare me? Candy corn and scarecrows. You did NOT just put them together in a hysteria inducing visual, did you? Seriously? Imma come smear coffee grounds all over you pad so you stop tormenting me with these graphics.

    I have pills and I'm NOT afraid to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you saying scarecrows don't have candy corn fingers??

    Rick James dog rules. Have you seen this Rick James sketch from the Dave Chappelle Show??

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUrqy1Ec06c

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know, I think the candy corn fingers make total sense.

    Congrats re: the advisor! It's so fantastic that you're doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you were 8 years old right now, you and my daughter would totally be besties, guaranteed.
    Other kids would stare and wonder and say HUH? about the two of you, but you wouldn't even care, because of your shared awesomeness.
    Then, after scaring off the other kids, you two would sit down and map out your World Domination plan in the playground gravel.

    ReplyDelete
  17. THE LABYRINTH!! I loved that movie even though it scared the shit out of me because my sister and I were entranced by David Bowie. *drool*

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally laughed out loud about the candy corn fingers. It totally makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Muahahhahahaa. Rick James! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That dog's a super freak.

    I think that's the name of a song, but I can't remember who wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do believe that dog is a poodle.

    That's what my dog looks like when we wash her and don't brush her.

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG! Your insanity is catching! I thought I was the only one who thought scarecrows have candy corn fingers! This was hilarious! You may need to post a warning for people that have bladder control issues!

    Stop by, I have something for you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. When I was a sad little lonely 13 year old I'd force my dog in a slow dance to Abba's "Dancing Queen". My sisters all had boyfriends, my friends had boyfriends. I danced with my dog. I was home alone. Thank god I never attempted to kiss him, just danced as the poor little mutt tried to wiggle his way out. My real dog was forced to be my imaginary boyfriend...

    ReplyDelete
  24. i wanna fuzzy dog. you're feeding my addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My eyes are glazed from reminiscing about David Bowie's codpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just about peed when I saw that dog. That is pure awesomeness. Almost as awesome as that pic of David Bowie...just thinking of Labyrinth makes me all fuzzy inside! We used to kiss stuffed animals and pretend they were our boyfriends. And the candy corn fingers totally makes sense!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I always kinda thought the candy corn would be the scarecrows' fingernails, Jareth is also my Labyrinth boyfriend, and I love the serial comma.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ha! That dog would ruin your lily-white, adorable canvas chair you just bought from Crate & Barrel- what? You DON'T have a lily-white chair from C&B?! Then you're good to adopt him.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think shinx is right. That's a pood with a funny do.

    Also, I really really enjoy blogging in a mildly douchey voice, as well. Cos I can! And no one's going to edit it! Bwa ha ha ha!

    Also, the 90 lbs. no stretch marks thing? I know it's your blog and you're allowed to brag and all, but are we allowed to hate you a little bit? I get stretch marks from fecking goosebumps.

    OK, not true. But I did get them at puberty, from the sudden appearance of megahips and boobs. Seriously. Overnight. (I almost wrote "literally overnight," when I was speaking figuratively, to illustrate the douchey writing on blogs idea, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Literally)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm sorry, but that dog is really skeeving me out. Just as Rick James would, I assume, if I ever met him. Though getting smacked by him...maybe that could get me famous or something?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sure, that dog has the hair, but more importantly it has the Rick James attitude, and therein lies the uncanny resemblance.

    ReplyDelete
  32. but how exactly do you fit said horseshoe up the ass???i have been trying for years but it just never goes all the way in and i am left with half assed luck ;o(

    ReplyDelete
  33. Rock on. Pregnancy weight gain weight loss rules.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I thought Rick James was a breed of dog.

    ReplyDelete
  35. How did they not get the candy corn comment? What is clear here is that people on the internet are sane, as opposed to real life people.

    Oh and Rick James is awesome. I am jealous. His hair is way cooler than mine.

    ReplyDelete