I'm feeling a little small for my britches right now.
In addition to learning my new MFA classmates are all super accomplished (Rolling Stone, The New York Times, Gourmet, entire fucking books), I am also feeling stressed about my wedding anniversary tomorrow.
What were the MFA peeps drinking when they admitted me into this program? I'm like the runt of the super-serious writers. Oh yeah, sure, some of them have blogs. Professionally designed blogs, highlighting their many published pieces of work.
In recent months, my most prestigious blog work has sent me to the confession booth, which in turn sent my priest to the confession booth. Oh! And I draw stick figures and water color impressions of my vajoojy.
Also, I use lots of made-up words, such as vajoojy. Wooooooo!
In recent months, my most prestigious blog work has sent me to the confession booth, which in turn sent my priest to the confession booth. Oh! And I draw stick figures and water color impressions of my vajoojy.
Also, I use lots of made-up words, such as vajoojy. Wooooooo!
Maybe I'll be challenge to become better of writing.
Also? I'm the teensiest bit disappointed that none of the mentor writers are humor writers, because I'm afraid I'll be a little sheepish with my essay on how bakeries should deal with racists. I mean, sure, it's political, but is it really nonfiction?
Also? I'm the teensiest bit disappointed that none of the mentor writers are humor writers, because I'm afraid I'll be a little sheepish with my essay on how bakeries should deal with racists. I mean, sure, it's political, but is it really nonfiction?
I know, I know. I should grow a pair and stop whining. Argh. You people sound just like PHubby.
That asshole.
He's not an asshole. He's a cock-knocker.
Not really.
That prick gives the best gifts. Thoughtful, beautiful, delicate, treasured.
And I? Well ... I'm not the best gift-giver ever.
Some examples:
- At least three wedding presents sat in my attic until one broke and two others were dusty and gross enough that I couldn't stand to give them to the recipients.
- I still regret giving relatives a wedding gift inspired by their love of the hunt club.
I thought they were whimsical at the time, but thinking back on it, what does one do with silver "hunt cups" with stems the shape of hunted animals (deer, rabbit, fox) and a horse? When not in use, the cups can be turned on upside-down to display the heads right-side-up like little head-bells. I'll bet it's fun polishing all the little fur grooves.
Lesson here: stick to the registry.
I thought they were whimsical at the time, but thinking back on it, what does one do with silver "hunt cups" with stems the shape of hunted animals (deer, rabbit, fox) and a horse? When not in use, the cups can be turned on upside-down to display the heads right-side-up like little head-bells. I'll bet it's fun polishing all the little fur grooves.
Lesson here: stick to the registry.
- No one ever says "aw" when they open a baby shower gift from me. Why? Because I've had fucking twins, and I know what people really need and that is: a battery charger, rechargeable batteries, little hooks that fit on a stroller handle to hold bags, reusable shopping bags, and hand lotion. Cute? Fuck no. Practical? Yes.
Oh, you say, oh, Sarah P, that is the worst gift ever. And to that, I say, "Fuck you, I used that shit all the time, and I say novenas for the people who gave us practical shit." Go fuck yourself with 27 receiving blankets, hoodie towels, and baby picture frames that will be useless in 12 months.
Oh, you say, oh, Sarah P, that is the worst gift ever. And to that, I say, "Fuck you, I used that shit all the time, and I say novenas for the people who gave us practical shit." Go fuck yourself with 27 receiving blankets, hoodie towels, and baby picture frames that will be useless in 12 months.
- Senior year in high school, the girls all got each other presents for Christmas and graduation. For some reason, I thought to give everyone striped tank-tops for graduation, and for Christmas? Each person got a plain outfit, with one shared sweater. Not one for each. One sweater total. We were supposed to trade it around between us to keep us together.
I was so Sisterhood before the Traveling Pants.
(click to enlarge. twss.)
I was so Sisterhood before the Traveling Pants.
(click to enlarge. twss.)
Did I mention I was wearing the sweater when I delivered them their tights and skirts, and that there were, like, eight or nine of us who were supposed to share it?
Again, I can't believe people hang out with me.
Again, I can't believe people hang out with me.
Each year since we've been married, PHubby has thoughtfully presented me with a gift according to the traditional guidelines of anniversaries.
The year it was crystal or leather? I got him a new belt. He got me a crystal jewelry holder for my nightstand.
This is our five-year anniversary, and everything has pretty much been planned for me.
He reserved a hotel room at an old, cozy hotel in a nearby city. The restaurant on the main floor is considered to be the best Irish pub in the city. Oh, that doesn't sound thoughtful, you say?
Maybe that's because you don't know that my grandparents loved being Irish, traveling to Ireland together, were married for a month shy of 68 years, and died just 13 days apart.
So, what are we going to do in this beautiful city? Oh, we're going on a champagne brunch cruise, using a gift certificate that was an anniversary gift from PHubby's parents a few years ago.
So, this leaves me to decide what I'm wearing and to choose a gift for him, which? Is unfair.
I mean, it's so easy for him this year. The traditional 5th anniversary gift is wood, and as Justin Timberlake and Adam Samberg taught us:

Okay, lady, buck up. You are the humor writer of that damn pretentious ass group, so own it. They're all probably insecure that they're not funny and they'll be swimming in jealousy.
ReplyDeleteA dick in a box is always a good gift. Or, in your case, a box in a box (see what I did there?). Or just sex. Men like the sex.
You will do FINE! Actually probably better than all those 'published authors' after all they will have the been there done that attitude and it will make them complacent and stale. Youll be light a breath of fresh air..... just brush your teefers first.
ReplyDeleteKnock em dead. No, I really mean that.. knock them dead if they shit on your style. =]
Besides you have something they DONT have.... a picture of zombie you giving head to a bottle on your blog. They are going to be all kinds of jelly about that.
ReplyDeleteYou are the weirdest fucking blogger ever. And that is the biggest compliment ever coming from me. Like the first commenter said, own it girl. The others probably feel inferior that they aren't as witty.
ReplyDeleteMeanwhile everyone else in the MFA program's looking at you thinking "Damn, they wouldn't let me in until I'd published in Rolling Stone and written a whole freaking book. She must be really good."
ReplyDeleteAnd they're right.
Love the new banner.
Well I, for one, think you should carve him a wooden belt buckle. To go with the belt. Make it out of mahogany. Then tell him he smells of mahogany and leather bound books.
ReplyDeleteAnd if he's not a fan of anchorman, well, then obvs you need to divorce him.
Also: You kick ass. Write prolifically about your voogygoogoo or whatever you called it. That'll learn 'em.
Tell them you know me. That should cover you.
ReplyDeleteNot sure for what. Just trying to get my name out there.
You're welcome.
i adore you. that's all, really. and, shockingly, that's enough. really.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete(A) "essay on how bakeries should deal with racists."
ReplyDeleteI.want.to.read.this.
(B) Your grandparents made me feel a little verklempt.
(C) For the record, I would have been SUPER EXCITED to have been included in a Sweater Sharing Sisterhood.
Guess who else made up a lot of goofy words. Shakespeare, that's who. And what stupid food porn mag just crashed and burned? Yup. Gourmet. And which irrelevant hippie iconic pop cultural touchstone is choking on the moss that it's gathered? You guessed it. Blah blah blah Grey Lady blah blah senile dementia? Word. Tell those has-beens to stop being so stuck up. You are on the cutting edge of populist discourse. They have no idea.
ReplyDeleteYour gifts would have been appreciated at the shower/kegger for our twins. We asked only for diapers, but had a registry just in case people *had* to buy something cute. We got through five months without ever buying diapers, at which point we switched to cloth. We use the hoodie towels all the time, but the picture frames (not on the registry) still display the photos that came with them.
I hope my wife doesn't read this, because our anniversary is next month and there will be no champagne cruises. What gift are you supposed to give for year eight? Shit, I mean nine? I wrote her a poem for year five, on paper, which is made of wood, sort of. There was even a stanza that explained that.
I have to agree with the comment about sex. It's the gift that keeps on giving really.
ReplyDeleteWait, no that's a VD. Totally NOT a good anniversary gift.
Amen to fucking yourself with 27 receiving blankets. Wait that didn't come out right.
This post is hilarious, as all of your posts are, and you are completely deserving of being in the same category as any of those other writers!
ReplyDeletep.s.~ Pretty, pretty, pretty please can your husband recreate that scene for your anniversary? And then can you photograph it and share the evidence?
p.p.s.~ pretty please?
i love you and your blog.
ReplyDeletedid that just make me creepy?
you have to ask sam about the glory hole in the igloo or as he likes to call it the Rigloo.
that definitely just made me creepy. you'll understand soon enough.
I had to come back to tell you - You posting about your anniversary reminded me that my wedding anniversary is coming up. I would have never heard the end of forgetting it again this year.
ReplyDeleteDitto what Tattytiara said. That is all.
ReplyDelete"Maybe I'll be challenge to become better of writing." You're like fucking Yoda with the wisdom, lady. Work it. Own it. Also? Own this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/38878115/little-wood-man-in-pink-negligee?ref=sr_gallery_31&ga_search_query=wood+weird&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title
ReplyDeletePerfect gift for PHub. You're welcome.
I wish you lived like 3 minutes from me. I would totally share a sweater AND help you do research about racist bakeries!
ReplyDeleteOh! I have been on the BAD end of gift receiving (ex husband was terrible) but I am extremely blessed with practical friends who have acutally DROOLED when I gave them stuff like batteries, organizing drawers, 3t clothes for their infant and those "soak em up" pads instead of receiving blankets.
Well, ONE asked me to nurse her infant b/c she couldn't. It's not that I don't like to give but... I would have gladly bought her a receiving blanket if that's what she REALLY wanted instead of the diapers.
I have never met anyone with such a serious case of blog insecurity.
ReplyDeleteI think you need a blog security blanket.
I'm gonna go make you one.
As one who possesses an MFA, I can tell you that MFA students, as a group, tend to be pretentious asshats.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure I was one back then. And very well may still be. If I am, I can blame my MFA program.
That point is, seek out the people in your workshops that are about the writing, not the cred. Seek out the fellow writers that appreciate humor in writing. They're absolutely in there with you. But they're being hidden by the Big-Talkin', Publication-Braggin', Fancy-Word Usin' folks who love to talk about how their souls were incomplete before they read Pynchon. Screw those guys.
The SaucyWench and I celebrated our tenth anniversary in January by kicking our kid outside and making out for a while. It was awesome.
God, you think MFA students are pretentious assholes, MA Lit or Rhet Comp are twenty times more so. I've become rather disillusioned and bitter towards the Academy as of late.
ReplyDeleteMore humor is definitely needed in a place where people tend to take themselves way too seriously. I would happily and much prefer to read a piece on racist bakeries than some of the academic shit of published, well respected literary theorists/critics.
I had a top once that fit me and almost all my girlfriends. The boob portion could only stretch so far. However, I never wore it, and eventually realized it was kind of ugly and tacky. Imagine a claret red velvet tank top with some sort of ruching at the top. It was back in my early high school days when I was still trying to define my style and first able to buy things with my own money and without my mom's approval.
Anyway love the blog and the paint pictures. :)
Damn. You people are way ahead of me and also? Fucking hilarious. I just had a shitastic evening. I love politicians who act all folksy and then are super big dickheads when they think no one is watching. Catch the sarcasm?
ReplyDeleteAnyway, you people light up my life, is what I'm saying.
andygirl - It better be a really big dick in a box. Right now, I'm watching River Monsters for the fourth night in a row. I think that's my gift to him.
MidwesternMamaH - RIGHT?! I can be, like, the tough girl from the wrong side of the tracks who fought her way into the school on a full scholarship and then gets a standing ovation for singing the national anthem at the end of the movie. Wait. I might be confused.
SurferWife - Really?! The weirdest?! Is it weird that that makes me happy? Is it neurotic that I even asked?
tattytiara - And I'll be all, "Damn skippy, bitches. I got in on an essay about socks. Sock on it." Yeah!
Ells - That sentence about divorcing someone for not loving "Anchorman" is pretty much the most beautiful sentence anyone ever wrote.
Moooooog35 - I will gladly drop your name, Eddie Van Halen. Thank you.
Meredith - It is. It is enough. I love you, too. *moving in for tongue kiss*
Margaret - A) A few entries down. B) Me, too. C) It sounds great, sure, but I think it just came across as really odd.
betadad - That's right, man! Shakespeare! Also, the world definitely needs that stanza. And by "world," I mean "your blog readers," and by "your blog readers," I mean "I."
DualMom - Everything about that comment was so, so wrong and so, so right.
ReplyDeleteMegan - DO NOT ENCOURAGE THE PHUBBY. I'm not even kidding. People who know us can vouch for that.
Jenny - I have a brain crush on Sam, and I love you.
MMH - I'm here to help.
c mcd - I see you, baby, shakin' that ass, shakin' that ass. (Sorry, that's my way of saying, "I know who you are, and I'm glad you're here." (That made it even worse, right? Sorry.))
Elly Lou - GD it, I fucking heart you so hard for picking up on that sentence. I was so proud of it, and all I heard were crickets ... until there was you. P.S. I clicked around on the tiny wood people, and I wish with all my heart that I never, ever saw the pediatric patient tiny wood people. And that I didn't have the thought that I should go ahead and buy them now in case one year I don't have enough money for Christmas presents, and so all the kids get from Santa are those, to remind them to be grateful. And that I didn't get pissed that the artist claims they're not meant to be toys. FUCK.
woman:confused - Um, would you like to nurse my husband? Because that could solve my whole gift issue.
Bridget Callahan - It's an equal mix of super, awesome pride, and, like, post-stomach-virus-gas-on-the-escalator shame.
Didactic Pirate - That sounds like an awesome anniversary. I finally have an excuse to be a pretentious asshole?! Please tell me I can wear a monocle!
Lan Nguyen - Don't you sometimes wish you had those pieces still, just for posterity or ... something?
Hilarious! Just think, you will have a unique perspective in your class cause funny is just plain awesome all the way around! Don't be like everyone else, I know you won't anyways!
ReplyDeleteAnyone who uses a picture of themselves demonstrating they blow job skills on a bottle as a banner is #1 in my books! Hey, we haven't stalked each other in a while, I am missing you...gonna hide behind your bushes for a while
1. I will be using cock knocker no less than 5 times today,
ReplyDelete2. Hubby STILL sings that song.... A TON!
Writing Womb - Heh heh. Bushes.
ReplyDeleteJules - I suggest you use it against the mean secretary. Also, you married a good man.
Um, yeah. I got a dick in a box for Christmas this past year...it's not as cool as you might think.
ReplyDeleteWell first of all, they obviously liked what they saw or you wouldn't have got in so you can shut it. As far as the anniversary gift, I suck at gift giving as well. My husband always gives me the nicest things ever and I always fall short. for our anniversary I said, dont' get me anything..not a thing. And he said OK, so I didn't get him anything but a card -- he got me flowers and a card and a gift certificate for a massage. And I cried.
ReplyDeleteWell, for a gift, you could just give him 'wood' (heh heh) - I'm sure you are well capable of thinking of ideas to induce this state, but you could always consider sticking bows on your tata's and vagooglie, wearing nothing but a trench.
ReplyDeleteJust a thought.
And I'm with the others on the thinking the peeps in your group will be jealous of your funny :)
Shared Sweater?
ReplyDeleteWhy couldn't you just sahre a boyfriend like normal girls.
It's practical too.
I might even know a volunteer.
Vajoojy in a box wouldn't work so well, BUT, it's a thought! Happy Anniversary!
ReplyDeleteBoobs in a box? Nah, I got nothing.
ReplyDeleteHi, SarahP! I have been away for tooooooo long!! Hope everything is going well with you. Just hang in there. School will get a lot better. Who cares what your classmates have done or what you have done, all that matters is that you deserve to be there just as much as they are. Keep on blogging and humor writing. =)
ReplyDeleteWhat did you end up getting PHubby? It's funny, my anniversary is the day before yours...just like our bdays. =) I got Huz hiking boots. Isn't that romantic??? I know right.
Blah blah blah, your blog is awesome.
ReplyDeleteBlah blah blah, you're fucking hilarious.
Blah blah blah, brag about getting wood and stuff when some of us haven't had wood since freaking New Years.
Just sayin.
:) Don't sweat those "real" writers.
P.S. - Hair Gel guy? Just begging for one of your illustrations.