Plus, PHubby has been all, "Um, you might want to think about getting a real blog design." OK. I know he's right, but it doesn't change the fact that I want to retaliate with, "Um, you might want to think about backing up four steps before I slam your peepee in the utensils drawer and gouge your eyes out with the melon baller."
Not that I'm sensitive. It's just this is my hobby, and I would love to have more time to doodle around and learn fun Internet magic, but when would I catch up on the 100+ blogs I follow, and Bones and, OMG, Ruby?
I don't even want to think right now about what grad school will do to me, especially when I'm going to have to write serious shit all the time.
(Side note: I keep trying to think of ideas for the first writing workshop this summer, and, ummmm ... some of them have turned into blog posts. WTF were they thinking, admitting me to this program? In my imagination, the real writers are going to be all, "Well, your water-color vagina-monster is darling, but perhaps we could talk about your personal struggles or some starving people or something - oh, I don't know - say, important? Do try to delve a little deeper."
And then, I think of them saying "delve a little deeper" and I automatically think to say, "Like, my cervix, or, like, your mom's throat?" Not even as a smart-ass response. More because I kind of want it clarified. Then, all the real writers roll their eyes at me and go back to writing about drug addiction and human rights issues. And I'm all, "Stuck-up assholes. I'mma write a C-U-Next-Tuesday post about this, with illustrations."
Anyway. Hi. Welcome to my brain.)
My brain kind of looks like a dialog bubble. Fitting.
I've been very contemplative about my blog lately, partially because of all of the above, and partially because my blogue is rapey lately, right? I feel the need to mix it up a bit. I came up with a list for making a lovely blog experience for readers. Here goes.
Making awesome blog:
1. It's all about the design. Pick colors that are soothing and appeal to many people of all genders and cultures. Include a sophisticated graphic. Hire someone, or have a friend create a professional-looking piece of art. Definitely do not spend less than 45 seconds slapping any ol' thing together in MSPaint.
2. Content matters. Write from the heart. Write about beauty. Write about pain. Write about whatever it is that ignites your passions. People will connect with the inner you.
It's extremely important to keep it clean. An occasional curse word is fine, but people will be turned off by repetitive vulgarity. (Read: Don't be a curse slut, or people will think you're a fucking cunt - and, goddammit, they'd be balls-on.) A good idea is to create something you would not be embarrassed for your mother or children to read.
3. Buy your domain name. Owning your domain helps you to brand your blog. This is good marketing advice.
Unlike the first two rules, which I quite obviously follow (shut the fuck up), I cannot follow this one. NakedCupcakes-dot-everything is taken, and my only other ideas for website names are for fetish websites. They're really good, though. Want to hear them?
a. Ampu-tease.com: Giving good nubbin.
b. PostpartumPussy.com: Cum throw your hot dog down our hallways. (Alternatively, "Cum park your Honda in our two-car garages," inspired by BFF's father's own comment. Heart that man 4 reelzies.)
4. Include beautiful photographs, inspirational recipes and quotes from famous thoughtful people. I only show no examples because it's important for you to find what is most dear to you, not because I've never done any of these things on my own blog.
5. Remember "blog" comes from "Web log." It is a way to record lovely memories, kind words, and tender thoughts.
****
Yeah, I don't know, either.
P.S. It's Season 3 of Out of Tune Idol, sponsored by Jules at Mean Girl Garage. I'm a judge this season. Go check out the videos and commentary. The contestants are high-larious, meant with the emphasis as written. Pretty sure they're all on hallucinogenic mushrooms.


It's true, when I write stuff about feelings, I get so many more comments. Which pisses me the fuck off, cause they are the sappy not entertaining posts, but the cool posts never get any feedback. It's bullshit. People need to stop getting off on strangers pain.
ReplyDeletecurse sluts in da house yo! fucks yeah!
ReplyDeleteYou have a melon baller?
ReplyDeletePosy pictures of a baby. It doesn't even have to be yours. I can't tell you how many times that has saved my ass when I had nothing to say...
ReplyDeleteI would never fucking curse in a blog post. I get my swear jollies off by commenting on other gender neutral blogs.
ReplyDeleteYour brain is funny. Keep it up! =)
ReplyDeleteI called my baby an asshole while he was in utero. But I meant it in a funny, loving way like when you're drunk and you say to your best friend "C'mere you asshole. I love you."
ReplyDeleteMy mother was horrified.
I'm going to call her and tell her right now that I'm a diagnosed curse slut.
O.k., here's the thing about grad school writing - EVERYONE writes that serious shit and you know what people enjoy? FUNNY CURSE-FILLED STUFF. So go with that. I did. Seriously. Everything I wrote in grad school had at least one semi-obscene or trying to be funny thing in it. I think of it as a palate cleanser.
ReplyDeleteI would skip all the learnin' stuff and keep blogging. We like reading your stuff.
ReplyDeleteHaha! You know you are kick ass whether you follow those rules or not. But I really think you should think about a new designer/header. Sorry to say. Other bloggers will find you and won't be able to resist following cuz you'd have it all. ;)
ReplyDeleteThe great thing about having a blog, is that you get to be as censored/uncensored as you want. Critical, selfish, self-loathing, hateful, spiteful, fun, have a trucker mouth, creative, brilliant, and politically incorrect. It's YOUR BLOG! It's your escape. No one gets to dictate how you run your blog, but YOU. (And maybe the occasional positive feedback from your loving husband *smiley face*).
ReplyDeleteYou have the following you have because you are crazy funny and intriguing to read. Go to a workshop, do what you need to do better what you want - but don't change based on what's "popular".
Thats my 2 cents.
Bridget is so right. Funny posts=no comments, sad sad posts, lots of comments. Weird.
ReplyDeleteI like your cupcake blog. It looks awesome, but if you want help, I have a few skills. Also, so does my husband, the new one, not the old one. The new one is an interweb genius.
I'd kind of like to see the song lyrics....... I think you should focus on that instead of that other BS. Just sayin'.
ReplyDeleteY'all are so awesome, but I think I went a little too dry with this post. Totally tongue-in-cheek.
ReplyDeleteBridget - I understand what you mean, but I, as a commenter and regular blog stalker of many, feel the need to offer words of comfort or understanding on sadder posts. It feels like kindness, but maybe I shouldn't be so nosy.
andygirl - Fuckin' A!
Wow, that was awkward - Totes McGoats. Photo planned to prove it.
Libby - I have so many hilarious, embarrassing photos of my kids, but I don't put them on the Internet because of creeps.
Elly Lou - Show us your tits!
Hi, Natalie - You said, "Keep it up." Heh. "It."
KLZ - It's like we're soul mates. When I was pregnant, I told people I was hoping our twins were identical so I could perform all sorts of nature v. nurture experiments on them. Raise one well, one as a feral child. Weird, but people were kind of horrified.
Suniverse - I am going to try for some humorous pieces, for sure. I'll have to finish a large body of work before I graduate. We'll see what happens. Thank you for the supportive advice!
Living Shallow, Living Well - *nodding* Thanks, man.
Tara - I totally know, dude. I totally know. *hanging head in shame*
Spanky - Thank you so much. Seriously good and kind advice.
tara - Well, I would be interested in giving business to readers before someone else. Can I e-mail you?
Jules - Will work on that. Fo' sho.
Oh my goodness.
ReplyDeleteI've been lurking for a couple of days and reading back-posts like a creeper, and I finally have the decency to let you know you're hilarious.
I found my way here from Hyperbole, and am quite pleased with the discovery of Naked Cupcakes. It's like I never knew there were funny people on the internet. Then I find them all at once and it's an explosion of hilarity and confusion in my brain.
Your posts are hilarious, and this one is added to the nonexistent Hilarious SarahP Posts list.
(All in all, you're going to kick ass in graduate school. Srs bsns writing will get done, as will funny pieces.)
Now I shall stop being a typing whore and lurk around some of your other posts c:
Ok, what you're describing here is 100% a mommy blog...recipes...that's not why I come to Naked Cupcakes. I come to hear about possible date rape and vaginas and blow jobs. hey, is daterapevaginabj.com taken?
ReplyDeleteAs per your request...
ReplyDelete(@)(@)
I've been dealing with a lot of this myself. When I started, I told myself I'd write everyday, and was kind of shocked when I actually did it. I just wrote post #95, which came up really quickly.
ReplyDeleteI bought the theme upgrade too, but am too lazy/busy to learn web design. If the damn thing just looked like my twitter page I'd be happy.
At least PHubby is supportive of your blogging and semi-helpful. All I ever hear is, "If you're writing shit about me on there I'm going to fucking kill you!"
ReplyDeleteI mean, really, people.
1. Totally ripped mine off from somewhere...
2. There's lots of heart in blowjobs. And the Fbomb.
3. I CANNOT stop laughing at Ampu-tease.com givin good nubbin. CANNOT. Fucking hilarious.
4. I had a section for Pickup lines which technically counts as words of inspiration, but nobody ever fucking cared. Except for this one:
The only reason I'd kick you out of bed would be to fuck you on the floor.
They really went wild for that one. Meh.
Roo - Same thing happened to me! In fact, it happens to me daily. I find awesome sites, and I can't stop trolling the sites they list on their sidebars and the blogs those people list. It goes on and on. Thank you for the nice feedback!
ReplyDeleteAmanda - I want that domain name. Right now. I feel like I should buy it just in case.
Elly Lou - Right back atcha. (You have huge nipples).
Chop - One day, I'll get off my duff and do something about it. It's more fun to roam around the Internet for "inspiration," doing "research," and then writing a blog post about how I never get around to doing anything constructive.
otherworldlyone - DAMN IT. THANK YOU. I have been holding on to that joke for two years. It's my favorite fetish website name. I love that pickup line. It's fantastic. I was always a big fan of, "Fuck me if I'm wrong, but you want to buy me a drink right now." The person using the line has to have a shit-ton of swagger, though.
Your 100th post will be magic; I can already feel it. Just be yourself and we are all sure to love it. On pick up lines, my sis and I are black (this is important to know), "Oh, wow. You've got a normal name. I was expecting Shaneeka-leeka-liqua". I actually snorted.
ReplyDeleteWater color vagina monster? Is. Amazing.
ReplyDeleteOff to check and see if anyone owns Surferwifedotcom
Ahahaha, I only wish I could curse so much on my blog, but I am indeed afraid of breaking my mother's heart. Or at least hearing her ask me why I use the f-word so goddamn much.
ReplyDeleteYou are tremendously funny. I really had no idea. But then, I also never knew you very well, just as the girl I was once in a skit about rape with. No, seriously. Year 2000. Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind. The show in which that one guy got naked that one time.
Fond memories...
Making up new words for songs is the best! Still laughing at the post-partum vajayjay parking garage. Room for the cars and lawn tractor in there.
ReplyDeleteJ-bird - A. You should have decked him. B. J-Bird is a fairly unusual name, in my book.
ReplyDeleteSurferwife - WELL?!
Jill - ! Hi! I absolutely thought about that skit as I was writing a recent rapey post. I felt guilty, I'll admit. Long live the Neo-neo-futurists!
Wombat Central - Isn't that awesome? I definitely didn't invent it, but it makes me laugh whenever I think of it.
steff - Shit. I totally put you in the corner - top right, everyone - go read her blog. She's awesome. I mean, if anyone reads down this far in comments. I do, but I'm kind of a stalker.
I love your brain! Your brain is like a bouquet of lollipops.
ReplyDelete"a. Ampu-tease.com: Giving good nubbin."
ReplyDeleteOMF'ingG!!!!
I just about had an aneurysm reading that. That's some funny shit right there.
Oh fuck. I had not even thought of this, and have a LONG way to go before I worry about it. But just for shits and giggles I googled 'purchasing your own domain/name' half way through it I decided to read The Future of Spacetime by Stephen Hawking. That shit made more sense to me.
ReplyDeleteIF and that is a BIG IF I ever get to the point of needing to do this for real. Ima hire someone to do that shit for me. I know I wont have the patience for it.
Holly
http://midwesternmamah.blogspot.com/
The beautiful photographs are supposed to be of our vaginas, right? I just want to make sure I'm doing this properly.
ReplyDeleteAnd by the way, Ampu-tease had me laughing out loud. You're fantastic.
Just stumbled upon your blog from somewhere...
ReplyDeleteand I do like your brain very much. I really want to know more about your Vagina monster instead of those drug and real issues which serious writers rant about whole day.
dogimo - I am an artiste.
ReplyDeleteBrianne - Yay! I'm so glad it was appreciated.
Holly - Oh, but THEN, it becomes addictive!
Curiosity - Exactly. Lots of muffin shots.
Nishant - More vagina monster, it is! Thanks for stumbling here.