Monday, February 28, 2011

Ass-burningly grown-up

You know what burns my ass? Making one of those rubber-cement bouncy balls on my Trapper Keeper folder with my butt.

Did you ever do that? Not with your butt, I mean, but did you ever waste a lot of time making one of those disgusting balls that turn all gray because of your filthy child hands when you could have bought a bright, shiny red one for a quarter in the machine outside the grocery store?

Do you even remember playing with the gummy, gray rubber ball you made? No, of course you don't, because the fun was all in painting the folder with rubber cement and then rubbing it off repeatedly to form it into a big, lumpy ball.

You know what else was a stupid, childish thing to do? Not stepping on the green squares in the elementary school hallway because you might get Jimmy Germs. And then, when you did accidentally step on a square, it was also childish to touch the person next to you and say, "Jimmy Germs - no tradebacks." It would have been much smarter just to step on the squares every time, and then just wipe off all the germs on the library door at the end of the hallway.

Although, now that I think about it, you might have to check the rule books on that, because officially, that might not get rid of Jimmy Germs even though it makes sense. Does hand sanitizer kill Jimmy Germs? Could you use the librarian's?

You certainly don't want to be the kid who doesn't care if he gets Jimmy Germs. Because even though it sounds really grown-up and mature, everyone will know that you are just putting on airs because your mommy told you to be nice to the gross kid. You'll always revert, you'll always go back to caring about Jimmy Germs. There is not enough Lysol in the janitor's trash-can-on-wheels to disinfect the creepiness from those green tiles.

Unless you like it?
Do you?
Do you like those Jimmy Germs? You secretly step on them on purpose when you're in the hall by yourself after school or on your way to the bathroom, don't you?

What is it about those green squares? Is it your way of silently apologizing to Jimmy, cleansing your conscience for being so mean and so loud about being mean? Sure it is. Of course. It makes sense, you're a nice person, really, not someone who just goes around picking on other kids. Sometimes kids pick on you, too, and you know it feels bad. It's all about being a nice person who cares about other people's feelings.

But that's not really it, is it?

No, it's not. You love it. You roll around in those Jimmy Germs. You collect them, even putting your mouth over the water fountain because he does. You wish you could spray yourself with those slimy, booger balls of Jimmy Germs. You wipe them on your backpack, so you can save them for later when you're alone and you can lick the canvas. Do you save your Jimmy Germs with the boogers on the wall next to the bed where you sleep at Grandma's house?

I drew a picture of you. Want to see it?



Like it? I call it "Jimmy Germ Lover."
You can find it in the Guinness Book of World Records. It simply won "Awesomest ever," narrowly winning over the picture your ex best friend drew of your dog face after you decided Jimmy was your new best friend.

Ha!
...

Wonder what ever happened to ol' Germbag Jimmy? Wonder if he still eats his boogers. Wonder if he can still take constant abuse and never shed a tear.

28 comments:

  1. I was secret friends with Jimmy because I was too much of a cowardly asshole to stand up for him publicly.
    I wonder what ever became of him. He's probably loaded. And hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy, If we learned anything from "Romy and Michele's High School Reunion" ... this is going to work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure in grade school, people thought I was Jimmy Germs.. or Jenny Germs... I didn't have bad habits or anything (I swear, I was so self-conscious back then!) However, my skin was very sensitive and dried up all the time, so when I got bug bites (which was often in the Philippines), I would constantly bleed and bruise from my incessant scratching. My bloody, scab-covered legs grossed everyone out (we had to wear school uniforms in my school). It was pretty bad. My mom would cover me with antibiotic ointment every morning, and when recess came along, I had no one to play with because people thought my scabs were an infectious plague. Ever since, I always wore clothing which covered my body from top to bottom. I loathed wearing swim suits and always opt to wear huge shirts when I go to the beach or in the pool. I'm slowly gaining self-confidence with my body now that I'm older and much more disciplined (and in an American, New England town with NO mosquitoes). This post brought me back to memory lane, and it really made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking I went to a way boring school or was highly deprived. way jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leila - Aw. Kids can be cruel. If it makes you feel better, Selena McBitchface Cuntbag once put a dead cicada in my hair.

    andygirl - Or, maybe you didn't participate in cruelty?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never caught Jimmy Germs...I was pretty busy doling out the Smelly Ellys. But I still licked plenty of canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nobody wanted Marci germs at my school because she smelled bad and always had a trail of snot from her nose to her upper lip until fourth grade when Marci's house burned down and everybody felt sorry for her and tried to be her best friend. My mom gave her all my old clothes because hers burned up. Then her family moved away. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had a kid called Ralph. In our defense, he liked to tell people he was from mars. We were ten. A bit old for that. Ahhh, crap. We have no defense. I have a defense, though. I was too afraid people would pick on me for all my missing teeth (birth defect, holla!) to ever speak ever. So *I* didn't pick on him. *sigh* Elementary school. Awesomest ever. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a kid named Bob Delameter. We called him Centimeter Peter. 'Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i think i was usually the one getting picked on because i was the youngest in elementary school. however, i learned early on that middle and high school were bullshit, so i did a pretty good job of not letting the hater's get to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you had personalized cooties in your school. We just had the all encompassing cooties plague, attributed to just about anyone female.

    I still skip certain colored tiles today, but now it's with my kids and it's to avoid the
    'hot lava.'

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nobody wanted Jason Germs in my school. Because Jason puked all over his desk and it seeped inside it and then his desk always smelled gross after that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. SaraP "Selena McBitchface Cuntbag." Rolls off your tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elly Lou - It's your natural defense system! Attacked in a parking garage? Release a Smelly Elly.

    Elizabeth - I love it when I'm a loser nobody loves and then my house burns down and I get some friends. Yay!

    Penelope - What I find so sad about Jimmy is that I don't even remember his voice. I don't remember him speaking at all. I don't think he did anything wrong, except for being born very pale and being quiet.

    vickilikesfrogs - You talked about his peter size? What whore elementary school did you attend?

    Steph gas - Middle school was the absolute worst for me. No one should have to live through 6th grade like I did.

    Simone says - Jimmy Germs! No tradebacks!

    Wow, that was awkward - I do that, too, except with one of my kids, and we avoid the certain colored squares because we might get germs from the kids we keep in the cage.

    Miss Yvonne - Then, he deserved it.

    CkretsGalore - She fucking deserves the name.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Denny has Jimmy Germs.

    But I suspect that we're talking about different things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We had a John and a Liz. They both smelled. I often wonder about them.
    Liz also chased boys. To tackle them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Denny - This is not about your Vegas trip again, is it?

    Lex - Oo! I think I like Liz and would like to read more about her. Can we start a blog chant? Blog, blog, blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pretty sure Jimmy became Charlie Sheen. His life is awesome now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with Libby. Jimmy is living the good life with prostitutes and interviews now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jimmy i'm sure has drug named after him now~ jimmy germs and has all the junkies yearning for him. ;~) he turned the negative and threw an even booger ballright back at you with no takebacks

    ReplyDelete
  21. Libby - He has two girlfriends!? Hooray, Jimmy! I'm sure you're totally germ free now that you're an alcoholic man-whore!

    Jules - So much booze money to drink away his tortured memories of elementary school.

    Anonymous - Yeah. Good heroin and hep-C - he sure showed us, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I start thinking about some of the kids I went to school with, I still itch.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We had a Jimmy Germs - his name was Pat Assback. He was grimy and grubby, and he wore a gigantic backpack that looked like a big ass. I imagine he's raking in millions at some software start-up in silicon valley.

    ReplyDelete
  24. boomerlane - That's because they gave you scabies. There's an ointment.

    Doc Cynicism - That might be the best mean kid name ever. He probably kept all his bomb-making material in it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't believe that I was never advised about the presence of Jimmy Germs in the public areas of schools. The Canadian educational system has got a lot of explaining to do!

    ReplyDelete
  26. We had a kid in middle school we called the screamer. He was a year behind me in school. He was scrawny and pale and had acne before anyone else. I can only guess that his parents had told him to scream when anyone attacked him at school because that was what he did. Because of his extremely loud, screech-like screaming, boys picked on him every single day. At least it seemed like every day because I can still hear his screeching. I never participated, but I never stood up for him either. I saw him recently. He works at a local grocery store and still has acne.

    ReplyDelete
  27. He's my dad, actually. People call him Jimbo a lot now. He's still gross.

    ReplyDelete