Monday, March 14, 2011

Mommy needs her hurty bump pills

Sorry I've been gone so long. Oh? You didn't notice? Cool! Then, HI! I've missed you!

But I was on some really groggy medication, and I literally slept for 12 hours the other night. It was glorious, and I could have done it again starting at midday. It's not even a painkiller or anything fun. It's an antiviral medication with a sleepy side effect that I deemed "worth it" because I really hate cold sores.

I'm not sure why God allows people to get cold sores INSIDE THEIR NOSES, and I've spent a lot of time contemplating the existence of such a cruel overlord. Think of all the people in Japan without access to a pharmacy right now! Not even for a little natural disaster makeup survival kit of lip gloss, clear polish, and Maybelline Great Lash. (Maybe it's natural disaster, maybe it's Maybelline.)

(Too soon? OK, well, if you chuckled, now you kind of have to help because of your crushing guilt. The American Red Cross says medical needs are high. Text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation to help our friends in Japan. You remember them. They gave us technology. I think we can afford $10.)

Life is so hard.

For instance, the soul-piercing embarrassment I must face when getting my cold sore medication that is also used to treat genital herpes makes me doubt a loving God. If my cold sore was visible, like on my lip like a normal person, it wouldn't be so bad. My nostril cold sores are not always visible but they're also not on my crotch, and that's a distinction I would like everyone behind the pharmacy counter to understand - an especially difficult task because of the aforementioned not-obvious facial cold sore and also because the doctor who prescribes my Valtrex is my well-known local Ob/Gyn.

Maybe pharmacists think they have some sort of secret pharmacy code that laymen can't understand, but I understand it. So, I'm pretty sure, can all these people with walkers loitering around the pharmacy counter waiting for their prescription poop pills. So, even when she yells about the generic name for something, like, everyone knows what it is. Ends with -icillin? Bacterial infection, but nobody's judging even though it could be for the clap.

But everyone associates Valtrex with genital herpes commercials. Everyone. Even I do it, and I take it for a completely different reason. So, when the pharmacist starts yelling about my prescription using its scientific name, I get a little nervous about Oxygen Tank Hank snickering from the disabled person chair next to the counter.

Invariably, I walk up to the counter and wait a lengthy three full minutes for the pharmacy tech who looks strikingly similar to Lara Jill Miller as the adorable tomboy Samantha on the NBC series Gimme a Break! Even though she meets my eyes when I walk up to the counter, she must continue muttering with the pharmacist, who acknowledges nary a soul until that person is a problem and only then with a level of angst and contempt that should only be allowed sanitation workers who had to unjam the sewer pipe outside your house that one time you thought "what's the worst that could happen?" and spent the entire seven days of your period flushing nighttime absorbency feminine hygiene pads down the toilet.

So when Samantha from Gimme a Break! finally descends from the pharmacist's work space, I'm already on the edges of patience. Then, I have to wait while Samantha, who looked completely normal from afar, works her Narnia backward-knee legs down the side steps, whinnies and trots over to the cash register. I tell her my name, she stomps twice, breathes through her gap teeth and turns around to look through the alphabetical bins for my prescription.

It's never there, so she checks the Q and R bins in case it was misfiled and then asks the pharmacist, who then squints at me, drops her reading glasses which swing from her flowered eyeglass chain, and shouts, "I called Dr. TwoFingers [well-known local Ob/Gyn] to see if he wanted to prescribe something else because your insurance company doesn't want to pay for that valacyclovir. Insurance will pay for the acyclovir but not valacyclovir, so I called Dr. TwoFingers to see if he wanted to give you the other kind."

What I want to say is "Please, please say Dr. TwoFingers and valacyclovir one more time, because I'm pretty sure the 20-year-olds buying condoms and specialty lube three aisles away didn't hear you the first two times."

Instead, I embark on a lengthy, pointless monologue about how - hahaha - it's OKzies because I just have this super painful, miniscule cold sore inside my nose which, in case any of the senior citizens were curious, are absolutely not in or around my nether regions because I am a good, Christian woman who hasn't slept with anyone except her husband (you're welcome, Mom) since she got married (sorry, Mom), and anyhoozles, I have a very healthy vaginal life all-in-all, and just so you know, the only reason an Ob/Gyn prescribed it is because one time, when I delivered twins (in wedlock, and a-thank-you) I got a cold sore while  he was checking on us in the hospital, and he just went ahead and wrote me a prescription, and ever since then I just call him. Oh, I'm so easy-breezy, aren't I? Certainly not like someone with an ongoing need for this medication.

"How much is it without insurance, then?" I ask, expecting it to be $400 if insurance won't cover it.

"It's 58.50," she says, and in the rage that follows immediately after the pause of shock, I somehow manage not to rip my shirt open, scramble over the stupid raised counter and rip that plush eyeglass chain right off her neck.

Because, really? Based on the assumed $30 copay for the tier-III prescriptions, I'm guessing the difference between her not shouting out my easily misunderstood prescription to half the senior population of our community and keeping it to herself is, like, $28.50.

Stab, stab. Stab.

"I'll take it," I say, and she rolls her eyes at me.

Half-Goat Samantha's mustache whiskers twitch as she fails to stifle her giggle-snorts. I've had enough.

If I were good at this sort of thing, I'd put that centaur in her motherfucking place.

"Listen here, Hot to Trot," I would say. "I wouldn't laugh at you if you got cold sores on your back hump, and I certainly wouldn't imply that you had them on your genitals. And not only because I find revolting the mental image of you having sex. I wouldn't imply it because I have empathy, something your kind should learn from we non-magical creatures. Good day, forest spirit. And the same to your chemical overlord up there behind the raised counter. A-good day."

Instead I pay my $58.50 at the register Nell Carter's cloven-hoofed afterbirth can't seem to manage, and avoid the prying eyes of all the old people.

This is why my occasional cold sore is more degrading than actual genital herpes. And that is how I spent my summer vacation. Love, Sarah P

37 comments:

  1. Maybe there is a kindly god that allows people with genital herpes that crucial little self delusion that maybe, when their prescription is being read out loud, the other people hearing it just think they have a cold sore in their nose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tattytiara - I wouldn't even do that. I deserve the shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the exact same way while 9 months pregnant getting my Valtrex prescription. I was trying to let the pharmacist know (with my eyes) that it was for Shingles. I got Shingles while 9 months pregnant while working in a sweatshop. No, I didn't get herpes while screwing a Donkey in Tijuana, no I'm not carrying the spawn of satan in my genital warty womb. I got Shingles. I felt so bad. It's like they were judging my baby and my vagina when it was just stupid chicken pox coming back to fuck with me when my pregnancy supressed my immune system. They should have a different name for Valtrex if you don't have genital warts. Like Valtrex-non-Herp. So the pharmacist can know you're better than THOSE people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rudy - EXACTLY what I'm trying to say. I'm so much better than someone with genital herpes. And I have to admit to a lot of bias on my part to say that. Which only makes it true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cold sores.

    Sure they are.

    Suuuuuurrrreeeee/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get those one a year, too! And Yes, only in my nose. I shove Abreva up there and it seems to clear up in about 4 days. Does the Valtrex work much faster? I think I could live with it a day or two more if it means avoiding that! But holy hell, YES it is awfully painful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ed - I got them from having nasal sex.

    Anonymous - If the Valtrex were less awesome, I wouldn't put myself through this. It clears up in, like, a day, and you only take it for five days, and HEY DON'T WE SOUND COMPLETELY HEALTHY??

    ReplyDelete
  8. How in God's name does one get herps in the nose? I call a nose picker!!

    I often enjoy a good root around up there myself, but now you've put fear into me. My next traffic light nose picking session will be wracked with nerves.

    Also? I get my mouth herpes Valtrex from my ob/gyn too. I should probably rethink that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. woman, I'm thinking you need to start getting that shiz on the black market. it's shady but it's gotta be cheaper and way less embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Narnia backward knee legs/Samantha centaur thing totally killed me.

    Also, I've never had a herpe. But don't feel bad, because I once had to wait in line for 45 minutes to get a .5 ounce tube of soothing cream for my anal fissure. s.

    This blog is private, right? Yeah. Good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Steam Me Up Kid, the Narnia shit broke me. Also, one of your problems is that you contacted Dr. Two Fingers and not Dr. Cynicism. Psh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i cannot believe you referenced "give me a break" - i sing the theme song all of the time, in the same high-pitched neil carter voice. it's beautiful. i hope your nasal herpes clears up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristy - I have no idea. I have my suspicions about Phubby having finger herpes and getting me drunk so he can pick my nose when I pass out.

    andygirl - But then, what would I blog?

    Steamy - Get out of my brain. It was between this post and a post on anal fissures. If that's the most embarrassing anal fissure experience you've had, I salute you.

    Dr. Cynicism - If my Ob/Gyn dies, I will contact you. But he's hilarious, so I'm going to stick to my coochie doc for now.

    Simone Says - It's so painful to sing that song with nasal herpes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I couldn't love you more right now. "Good day, forest spirit!"

    Next time, drop it off and have hubs pick it up. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i hate most pharmacists because they hold the keys to my happypills and tarzipan and they generally won't give it to me without a judgey look that makes me stabby.

    what surprises me is that with the amount of happypills and tarzipan (OKAY, generic klonopin) that they give me, they get judgey and annoying with me. like arguing about the discount card that doesn't work with insurance. HELLO IT SAYS RIGHT ON THE CARD IT DOES. every time. i've been using the card since last june. i get my happypills every month. FIGURE IT THE FUCK OUT.

    and then they have the nerve to ask me if i can come back tomorrow? you're pissing me off AND not giving me my meds?!?? they're lucky i haven't plucked all their eyebrows off their stupid faces yet.

    i concur - make hubs pick it up. instead of thinking he's a whore, they'll just think he's a stud and give him props. fucking double standards.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there! Yer back!!!! Several things to say.

    Firstly, your emotional entrapment into giving to a charity was ah-mazing. Best I've ever seen. You should do talk-a-thons. What are those things called? The Jerry Lewis (who is a horrible horrible person, apparently, but, looksie! He gives money to tha kids!) thing. And to clarify, the "Hey Laaadies" Jerry Lewis not the "I married my 13 year old cousin" Jerry Lee Lewis. Am I mixing up names or something? Shit, I've got to google to write a comment nowadays.

    Secondly, the Narnia comments just killed me too. Is it wrong that all I thought about, when you mentioned it, was how James McAvoy made that shit look gooood. Flappy ears and all. So, yea, I got the hots for a centaur once (always), don't judge me.

    Thirdly, holy crap, but I had a "what's the worst thing that could happen" moment too! For reals! When I was a teenager. And the worst thing is that I was standing there with my mom, when she was asking the plumber what caused it and he was all, "Ma'am, I'd rather not say." "No, really, what was it?" "Ma'am." "Uh, I don't understand. Why can't you say?" "It was a pad, alright? Alright? ALRIGHT???!!!" And then he ran out of the house, girly-crying for the shame. Or maybe that was me.

    Glad you're feeling better and got the good night's rest. Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Damn it. You beat me to it with your comment to Ed. But the good news is I feel a little less self-concious about my ginormous flaring nostrils. Because it proves my husband is hung. Or something.

    Also? The parasite is giving me face herpes like nobody's business. Unless your a prostitute. Than I'm getting face herpes exactly like your business.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Also, thought of my most favorite recent series with this - Party Down. Only season one, though. I tried to find the clip where the "gang" is working a corn with a p party. Henry - adorbs- chats up a working gal who specializes in Japanese nasal mast****ation. Gah, it's hard to talk about this without putting you in corn with a p searches.

    So anyway, you should netflix it. Jane Lynch's best role ever. She's not in this clip but her Constance was wonderful. Alrighty.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW5WW3x38wc

    ReplyDelete
  19. My cousin has genital herpes. She spreads it like wildfire and refuses to take her meds...probably because of pharmacy staff. Or because she's a dick. Whatevs.

    She also peed on her own carpet once.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just shot snot out of my nose and on my monitor. narnia, hooves, back hump. Seriously funny shit.

    momofwildones.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm too afraid to buy yeast infection cream or constipation medicine at the pharmacy. I think I'll always be this way.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The old people do know exactly what you're taking and have assumed you're taking it for genital herpes. I know this because I'm a nurse and the old people always take great pleasure in being nosy and opinionated.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You could have just drank some cranberry juice.

    ReplyDelete
  24. dr twofingers and half-goat mustache whiskers twitching!!! hilarious.

    where the fuck are HIPAA privacy laws when you realllly need them?

    ReplyDelete
  25. My Valtrax also works on cold sores?

    Truly a miracle drug.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ugh! My comments keep getting erased...

    Must be the narcs.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The trouble with being an atheist?

    No one to blame shit on.

    Bad luck, kitten. But perhaps a simple, "Well, at least SOME of us have actually had sex." might suffice next time?

    So what if she thinks you've got a blistered snatch?

    From the sounds of it, no one has ever SEEN hers, so...

    - B x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh holy balls I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard at your post.

    I SO UNDERSTAND! I have endometriosis, and since none of the other medications were working my doctor decided to prescribe something less common--for MY condition at least. What did he prescribe me?

    The mother effing pills for gonorrhoea and the clap my friend.

    Which the pharmacist YELLED to me from the back shelf of the pharmacy, because they were out of one of them "because of reading week {Canadian college's version of spring break}". Seriously? Kill me. And the kicker? They didn't work. They just made me painfully ill for no reason.

    Pharmacists should really be mute. Or robots. Or just learn to shut their obnoxiously loud mouths.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a ginormous pain in the ass... or nose. People have no common sense these days... and now I sound like my grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  30. my favorite part was the backward bending knee part. and! i also get cold sores in my nose, *fistbump.*

    ReplyDelete
  31. Perhaps you should investigate a pharmacy that has a drive-through?

    ReplyDelete
  32. I get all embarrassed when I have to go pick up my birth control prescription, because God forbid those people realize that I have sex. And what is worse is that I want to tell them, "No...I'm really not even GETTING it that often!" because that would make it better, right?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Um. You are my cold sore hero.

    And, side note: I had no idea they could be in your nose.

    ReplyDelete