So far, I've mastered giving up ideals like equality and hope and understanding, and replaced them with fear, guilt and hate. I'm on my way, and you can be, too!
To become a Catholic parent, it helps to fill your home with lots of creepy Catholic things. Start your parenting with something simple and sweet, a nighttime prayer and a couple rounds of "Jesus Loves Me." A picture book with a fuzzy, teddy-bear cover also helps to bond your tiny, unscrupulous, idol worshiper to God and the Church.
Once they love Jesus, it's good to make sure the children have a visible reminder of their faith:
See that guy right there? He died a bloody, rotten death while his mommy cried so that you could be forgiven for grabbing that toy from your brother. If you really believe you deserve your cookies tonight, you may have them, but I want you to really think about it.
What's that you ask? What is that necklace hanging from the crucifix? That's only the Rosary, dear heathen child, something good people pray every day. The carvings on the stones are shamrocks, a symbol of our Irish heritage, which we celebrate because our ancestors nearly starved to death when a blight killed the potato crops, and then our great-great-great grandparents had to sail on a big, big boat to the United States where you now beg for McDonald's before you've finished your organic hot chocolate from Starbucks. How would you feel if you only had potatoes to eat? Hm? What about if the potatoes didn't grow? Still hungry? You want apple dippers or french fried potatoes?
Next, you'll want to reinforce those feelings of guilt and low self worth with a few reminders of people who are much better than your children. For example:
St. Francis of the Swiffer Wet Jet for Wood
Patron Saint of Hiding the Dead Spiders in the Corner the Vacuum Can't Reach
St. Francis of Assisi is the Patron Saint of Animals and the Environment. He died of an eye disease and stigmata, which is a condition in which really good people - really, only the best people - get bleeding, pus-filled wounds just like Jesus had when He was nailed by his wrists and ankles to a large wooden cross. He died while singing a Psalm.
I'm sorry you have the sniffles, honey, but don't you think you should recycle your orange juice carton? After all, St. Francis always loved the environment, even as he was dying a bloody, painful death while singing praise to Our Lord and Savior. You make your own decision, sweetie.
Another good example is St. Jude.
St. Jude is the Patron Saint of Hopeless Cases, which means even when God is sick of your shit, St. Jude will try to help. Lord knows why they gave him those cases instead of something better. The man was present at the Pentecost, the birthday of the Catholic Church, when the Holy Spirit gave all the apostles little flames on their heads because back then they didn't have sweat shops in China for tiny orphans to make those Lightning McQueen birthday party hats you like so much.. You know, some children have Holy birthday party themes. I'm sure someone could make you a Judas Iscariot pinata. You know, if you were interested. 'Sup to you.I'm sure Jesus wants whatever makes you happy.
After the saints, introduce something sweet and cherubic: Angels! Everyone loves them, and they are available year round in the form of pins, wall hangings, bumper stickers and sweatshirts your Grandma buys God-knows-where.
Angels are special winged creatures of God who bring to our lives the music of Heaven and protect us in our times of need. Think of them as God's winged warriors.
Once upon a time, one angel fucked with God, sweetie, and things didn't go so well for that angel.
According to the Book of Charlie Daniels, that angel became the Devil, who went down to Georgia, where Johnny showed the devil how it was done. We are never to enter into conversation with the devil, but fiddle competitions are allowable.
All of the above will give you a good start as a Catholic parent, but there are some handy tools on the market to help keep your household Godly, guilt-ridden, and righteous. Maybe Baptists think it's idol-worship, but we Catholics say, "Phooey." Whatever keeps your children miserable is good enough for us!
My favorite is the Elf on the Shelf. He's a little Santa's elf who sits in your house year-round and watches your children and lets Santa know if your children have been naughty or nice.
Some holidays, especially those involving candy, can be difficult for children. It's important to motivate them not to become gluttons or thieves. Giving in to temptation is exactly like nailing Christ to a cross.
Place the elf in a place where children could get in trouble. For example, the candy-filled dining room.
The devil left you unattended candy.
No one can see you.
One little cherry-vanilla Nib wouldn't hurt anyone, would it? Would it be exactly like jabbing the hanging Jesus in the side with a sharp stick? Maybe, maybe not.
In a situation like this, a kid sure could use something to help make the right decision.
Something that appeals to a child's natural evil - the greed, the gluttony that overrules the desire for candy.
Christmas presents.
Not a saint or an angel or a son of God, but pretty fucking scary nonetheless.
By now, you're well on your way to being an effective Catholic parent. Any day now, you'll start working off those minutes in purgatory. God speed.
My son is being raised half-Catholic and half-Buddhist. I find myself using the Buddha as an angry god. "The Buddha would NOT be pleased!" What can I say? The Catholics knew what they were doing with that whole guilt thing.
ReplyDeleteMy Father was raised a Catholic and went to a Catholic private school.
ReplyDeleteYou know what he said to me?
"You know how much acid I had to do to erase everything they taught me?"
My hubby and I are Catholic, but clearly not practicing because one time we were in church for something and my oldest pointed at Jesus and asked, "who's that?" Surprised I wasn't struck down at that instant.
ReplyDeleteThe Catholic guilt thing is legendary.
What a creepy looking little fuck! Spying bric a brac...only in Catholicism.
ReplyDeleteI should probably be Catholic what with all the ways I guilt my husband..and probably my child too as soon as he can understand it.
ReplyDeleteI don't even want kids and I'm a non-practicing Jew, but now I kind of want to be a Catholic parent. Sometimes mentioning the Holocaust to get what you want gets old. You know?
ReplyDeleteDude, my husband's grandfather's house was lousy with icons. Lousy. Every single surface, every inch of wall space. I found it enormously unnerving. All those eyes. Watching. Just watching. And waiting for me to eff up. To curse or kill someone or something. And the crazy thing was that before I entered the place, I had no intention of cursing or of killing someone. Oh and my husband's grandmother once, when he was a kid, chastised him for saying "Darn" because even if it wasn't a curse officially, he was cursing in his heart. Alrighty then. This Catholic bashing is fun! Thanks Sarah P! Am I an intolerant d-bag? Apparently! Woohoo!
ReplyDeleteThe Catholic household is most effective when supplemented with the Catholic school, that way whatever Mom can't guilt out of you the nuns can beat out of you. As a veteran of both, I am immune guilt-based emotional assaults. And any nun who gets dodgy with her ruler near me is getting scissor kicked in the back of her habit. My God is a violent vengeful God, like an extremely constipated Chuck Norris or something.
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing how many people I know that signed up to Catholicism as adults. It never seemed particularly membership drive-ey as churches go. More grow your own oriented.
ReplyDeleteI too converted as an adult, so's the little lady's parents wouldn't disown her if we got married. That's a year of Sundays I'll never get back. Now we have to have the macabre knick-knacks on display whenever the in-laws come to town. I kind of like the Marys and other little action figures, but crucifixes are just gnarly. Do other religions celebrate the method of execution of their martyrs. Imagine wearing a guillotine around your neck. Or a noose.
ReplyDeleteAre we sure that the Elf of the Shelf is on the good side? He's looking pretty freakin' evil to me.
ReplyDeleteI've seen that last elf before...but it wasn't a house or church. Well, it was at a house party in China Town in some place that advertised their "shower stalls." *shudder* I'm pretty sure there was some kind of praying going on there...
ReplyDeleteThe mixture of the post and the comments made me pee a little.
ReplyDeleteIs one of the angels split in half? Is that the one that fucked (with) God?
That shelf elf looks like it's a stripper on the side.. just sayin.
when i first heard about that elf on the shelf, i thought who would do that to their kid? the nightmares, the paranoia, the guilt they'll carry with them for the rest of their lives? yep, it's exactly the same kind of mind fuck organized religions instill.
ReplyDeleteMandy – Sometimes I think if I weren’t Catholic, I’d be Buddhist or Quaker or something peaceful, but sometimes, you need to eat some red meat and have duel, you know?
ReplyDeleteCkrets Galore – Is he single? Because I totally want to hook him up with a friend.
SarcasmInAction – Meh. We’d go to church more, but our children are germ bags and at least 47 percent of our congregation is on oxygen. Plus, PHubby is a dick when he doesn’t eat before 9 a.m.
Katsidhe – But the Elf is for everyone!
Amanda – Guilt works in every situation.
Alonewithcats – Catholics try to ride the Holocaust train because Catholics were on the List, you know? Never works, though. It’s like how my grandmother used to talk about how people discriminated against Catholics. Sorry, Grams, we weren’t enslaved or incinerated.
Penelope – “Lousy with icons” is my new goal in life. Intolerant d-bags should be the only people who read anything I write ever.
PHubby – You do remember you have your own sign-in and you don’t have to do this anonymous-as-PHubby thing, right? Do I have to explain the Internet to you again?
Tattytiara – It’s not, but we new ones are the good ones. I just joined Call to Action, which is like being Catholic but flipping the bird at dogma and injustice.
Beta Dad – We both have twins and converted to Catholocism for spouses? Those who are demented together, something something donuts.
Tom G. – Are we sure clergy is on the good side? We should put one in every monastery.
Elly Lou – OMG! I totes worked there.
Lex – Yeah, the cat jumped up on the window sill sometime in the middle of January, and little Lucifer never got fixed. That elf is askin’ for it.
Pattypunker – Last night, my daughter told me she was scared of her dreams because sometimes the monsters “roar” and “look mean.” I said she could tell those monsters that roaring and looking mean is a big no-no and their mommies would be very disappointed. I told her she can put them in time-out for that behavior. She went to sleep. Catholic guilt ftw!
How is it that you managed to write a whole post on Catholic guilt parenting, and not once did you mention the evils of masturbation?!
ReplyDeleteI gotta say, I'm a little disappointed in you, SarahP. May God have mercy on your soul.
Kristy - My kids are 4. No yank-yank yet.
ReplyDeletefor some reason, I really want a shamrock shake now.
ReplyDeleteWe're not Catholic, but we've done the Elf on a Shelf thing for the past two years. Creepy looking little fucker. She named him Shefford. He's clearly defective.
ReplyDeleteUntil I saw that creepy devil gymnast, you had me ready to convert.
ReplyDeleteI just like the way "St. Francis of the Swiffer Wet Jet for Wood Patron Saint of Hiding the Dead Spiders in the Corner the Vacuum Can't Reach" rolls off my tongue!
andygirl - never had one, but i hear they're the tits.
ReplyDeleteotherworldlyone - demon child! she's on the dark side!
bschooled - if you can reach the dead spiders, i highly recommend rolling them off your tongue. they just dissolve. divine.
Just found this post today. Had to mention how much I love your Swiffer Saint. He rocks. Also, no collection is complete without the Virgin Mary in a bathtub in the front yard.
ReplyDeleteoh, MY-god. i was born and raised a Catholic and had never been acquainted with the "Elf on a Shelf" before today. i kind of feel like my childhood was robbed of its fair share of creepy-terror now... *sigh*
ReplyDelete