Sunday, February 13, 2011

His gentle strangulation lulled her into a deep sleep

This is the story of a man and his cat. (To be technical, she was my cat, but then he and I formed a special, perfect union in the eyes of God and shared an address, and then he peed all over my cat and now she's his. I can't have anything he covets - he always pees on it.)

(The parenthetical portion of the above paragraph is all bullshit.)

This is the story of a man and his cat.

A cat who used to be mine, a cat I knew. As a tiny kitten, she came into my home, which was a shabby second-floor-and-attic with thin taupe carpeting and a linoleum bedroom floor. I was sad, alone, and a senior in college, living by myself when PHubby and I broke up.

*sob*

My mother, concerned of course that I would probably die an old maid still crying over that irrationally thin rugby kid I brought home a couple summers in college, suggested I get a cat. My dad wanted to be angry about the new pet, I could tell, but my mother took the fall.

I was aware of that dynamic, but I pretended to ignore it by acting happier than I actually was about being a single 21-year-old living alone with a cat. Because at least I had a cat.

Isabella was a tiny little alley cat, mostly black with a white bib and white paws. Her ears were impossibly huge. A classmate of mine tried to save her but the mewing all night was driving her crazy. I was just the sort of sad, pathetic break-up mess that needed something new to obsess over and a warm body to snuggle at bedtime.

PHubby watched her while I bought some new pet supplies. Even though he was my ex. Because I asked him to watch my kitten - a really awkward question because I knew how it seemed.

Unfortunately, I was in a jam because I had not prepared at all for the new cat - starting with the cat carrier. The error soon revealed itself because Isabella, as a 2-month-old kitten, repeatedly and violently flung herself at the windshield of my navy blue '86 Mustang convertible.

After driving her the five blocks to my apartment and taking her upstairs, I was pleased she survived the drive and seemed to like the joint. Soon, she would need to use a litter box, and I didn't have one. I did, however, have a 2-pound furry psycho who was willing to fling herself repeatedly against a windshield, a bucket of bleach in the kitchen, and a lot of dangerous small spaces.

Luckily, I also had an ex-boyfriend (PHubby) with a cat of his own (with litterbox) who lived in walking distance.

I swallowed my pride and called PHubby, who kindly watched the cat for 20 minutes while I went out and bought supplies.

Now, long story short, a few weeks later, PHubby wooed me back with blueberry pie and coffee at the Amish truck stop and a screening of Orgazmo in my apartment.



I know what you're thinking: God, that's romantic. But that's only because you don't know the most romantic thing PHubby's ever done, which was to yell "Yahtzee" during climax. We can all agree that was not only extremely sexy, but also thoughtful and kind of epic. (Happy V-Day, baby. This one's for you.) (Also, sorry Mom.)

That was the day Isabella first showed herself to be a traitor, because she was all over him while I was trying to play hard to get.

Isabella is a lap cat. She likes to sleep at the foot of the bed, and she particularly enjoys face pets. Pick her up, and she turns into a fierce shredding machine. She sincerely believes if she is picked up, she will be skinned alive and her still-wriggling body will be seared on a barbecue grill. And, let's face it, if she claws me like that one more fucking time, she might be right.

A few years ago, PHubby decided he'd have none of that. He would pick her up and she would like it.

For a few seconds at a time, he would hold her firmly in his arms and pet her. Then, he'd put her down and she'd run away. He slowly increased the length of time he would hold her.

Now, she'll stay in his arms as long as he determines.

She prefers him. She loves me, but if she's looking for a can of wet food or a nice long petting session, she goes to him. (To be fair, he has impeccable tension and rhythm with head pets.)

She was my kitten. My sweet little Halloween cat who liked to be scared and was forever arching her back. She snuggled me all the time, and chirped at the birds she saw at the window. Now, she loves him more. Her affections lay elsewhere.

He says people should hire him to condition cats. He says he won her over with "a series of rape snuggles."

I say she has Stockholm Syndrome, and maybe that's insensitive of me because I heard Jaycee Dugard totally had it, and really regrets it. She was kidnapped from her bus stop at age 11 by Phillip Garrido and then was rescued 18 years and two kids later.

But, to be fair, if you have positive feelings for an old dude who kidnapped you from your suburban family at age 11 and repeatedly raped you and made you live under a tarp in the backyard,  it's probably because you were asking for it with your sexy Osh Kosh overalls.

Anyway, everything worked out for Belle in "Beauty and the Beast," so it's probably fine.

22 comments:

  1. When I brought home my first kitten she did not understand that since I fed her, cleaned her litterbox, paid her vet bills, etc, she was supposed to love me best. She ignored me except for when she was hungry. She saved all her love and snuggles for my husband (then boyfriend).

    Then one morning she was standing on a kitchen chair with her head through the slats, slipped, and nearly hung herself. Her screaming woke me out of a sound sleep. I ran to the kitchen and rescued her. That night she sat in my lap. She's liked me best ever since.

    So really you just need to create and save your cat from a near-death experience and all will be right in the world. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, but one time, I accidentally locked her in the kitchen pantry overnight. She was obviously crazed, because she shredded the crap out of all the paper grocery bags in there. Still, she loves him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was a pretty funny post, up until the mocking the rape victim thing. Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah. I was wondering where the line was with Stockholm Syndrome. I was planning to make jokes about it in relation to my cat, but I was researching the syndrome - which is pretty horrible, given the circumstances under which it develops. I decided to push the boundaries.
    Not trying to mock the victim, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the point is for people to think about why it's funny with a cat, but it's not funny with a person. See?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not! Offensive! Enough! Not! Offensive! Enough! WHAT DO WE WANT? ICK! WHEN DO WE WANT IT? NOW!

    (I'm just kidding. I thought I'd balance out anonymous up there. I thought it was just right offensive. And also, why I love you.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. <3. I would totally kidnap you and make you bear my children. And I mean that.

    (I actually almost emailed you before posting ... just to see.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i just read that post & thought, "this has a steamme flavor too it, but she didn't mention pussies, so i guess not." i guess i was right on the money. she would have found a way to take it even further. maybe with some cameltoe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to take this opportunity to thank the author of this blog for making cameltoe a part of this story about my relationship with her cat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Correction: I want to take this opportunity to thank the author of this blog for NOT making cameltoe a part of this story about my relationship with her cat.

    (How Freudian of me...)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meryl Streep is so playing you in the movie version of this post. Or maybe playing the cat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it all got kinda weird after the rape snuggles bit. And then PHubby's previous two comments made me laugh.

    I mean the whole thing made me laugh too, other than the stockholm bit, which made me snicker nervously!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sherilin - Yeah. There's not much to be done since Steamy shot her dog. Really, she left us nowhere to go. Except maybe pet snuff films ... which gives me an idea ...

    PHubby - Stay away from the cat.

    pixielation - Yep. That's about the tone I was going for. There is a palette-cleanser for tomorrow, so enjoy the rapeyness now before it gets washed away with the tide of my shame.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Didactic - Abduction and serial rape couldn't keep me away from that film.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm totally there for the movie. with your phubby and his cameltoe. or wait, it's mooseknuckle for the mens. sorry, phubby.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK, so I've got you down for one pet snuff film starring Meryl Streep and somehow involving PHubby's mooseknuckle. Fries?

    ReplyDelete
  17. i'd this has more of a nacho flavor to it. spicy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good post. Needs more rape. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I fully appreciate the rape snuggles thing, and am actually surprisingly okay with the offensiveness of picking on rape victims in general, because hey, we had it coming. It's the picking on that particular one that icked me out.

    Otherwise, I'm totally down with rapesnuggling your pets. Or spouses. See what I did there, turning it into a verb? I'm going to go home and rapesnuggle my husband now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How did Phubs not make a valentine's card with "enjoy the rapeyness" on it? It's like he's not even trying.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sherilin - Hachacha!

    Kurt - Right. More rape. I was thinking like, you know how Mooooog has been jerking off our funny bones, maybe I could start raping funny bones. It just sounds so perfectly awful. Like torture tickles.

    Anonymous - Right. I know. It was one of the worst cases, except for the most wonderful part, which is that she survived. It wouldn't work at all with someone who didn't, you know? These are the kinds of news items that keep me awake at night. I mean that literally. Child abductions and/or murders can wake me from a sound sleep and keep me from getting back into it. Humor helps me deal with the world. But, I suppose if I have to write six paragraphs to explain a joke - even a really dark one - it probably doesn't work. Thanks for telling me, though. I always appreciate feedback.

    Elly Lou - He does have an abduction love one. It's his way of being supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Only 50 percent of my cats snuggle with me. Teva, the bad half, wouldn't even sit in my lap for years. Then after I broke up with my girlfriend and we moved into a new apartment, she'd sit on my outstretched legs, as far away as possible from the rest of me. Over the course of about a year, she inched closer and closer to my lap. Now, I'm kind of convinced that I wore her down with my love. No rape necessary. It only took six years.

    ReplyDelete