So ... the holidays get a bit *yikes* around these parts. I'll 'splain:
Nov. 23 - My folks' anniversary
Nov. 20-something - Thanksgiving
Dec. 6 - Twins' birthday
Dec. 11 - Mom-in-law's birthday
Dec. 14 - My birthday (I want presents. Mark your calendar.)
Dec. 25 - Christmas
Dec. 26 - Dad-in-law's birthday
Jan. 1 - New Year's
Jan. 2 - Mom's birthday
I'm trying to get LJ and the Hankster ready for their 3rd birthday. I'd like for them to be excited.
I know what kind of cupcakes they want (pink frosting, yellow cake for Lucy; red cake and blue frosting for Harry), what they want for gifts (a book about pink for Lucy; strawberries for Harrison), and that they like balloons.
Time is such a strange concept for a little tike. We've been reviewing the order of events.
"First, Thanksgiving. Then, Lucy and Harry's birthday. Then, Grandma's birthday. Then, Mommy's birthday. Then, Christmas ..."
LJ and I went to church together yesterday - just us girls. For a 2-year-old, she's pretty indignant that she doesn't get any Body or Blood. She sticks out her hands just the right way every time. She gets back at the priest by talking through his entire homily. Take that, dude-in-dress.
So, after church, we took our girl-time car ride to talk a little bit about the birthday. This is when I learned what kind of cupcakes she wants and that she should get a pink "rip-it" (wrapped gift, in adultspeak) and Harrison should get a blue one.
Then, I let her listen to "Jingle Bells" from "Christmas with the Rat Pack" 6 times. As we made our last turn toward home, she started crying.
"What's wrong, baby?" I asked her.
"No go home," she sobbed. "Nooo gooo ho-ooome."
Me: "Honey, don't you want to go see Daddy and Harrison?"
Lucy: "Noooo. I want to go to Thanksgiddi-ing."
Me: *sigh*
This is what I get for trying to schedule the holidays with a 2-year-old.
Seasons change
I suppose this will just be one of many mother-daughter conversations where we misunderstand each other.
I once witnessed the following conversation between my mother and grandmother when my mom was taking Mom-Mom out to do some shopping.
Mom (backing car out of driveway): OK, Mom. What do you have on your list today?
Mom-Mom: Well, I need some throw rugs for the kitchen. I'd like to look at some blouses. Your father needs some socks. Oh - and I could use some spring clothespins.
Mom (slightly confused and annoyed): Why do you need spring clothespins?
Mom-Mom (a little surprised by the question, perhaps): Well, to hang my laundry.
Mom (really annoyed and super testy): Well, what's wrong with your winter ones, Mom?
Mom-Mom and Me: *snicker*
Mom-Mom (wiping tears from her laughing eyes): Not spring clothespins. Spring clothespins.
Mom (realizing some clothespins have springs): What? ... Oh!
Don't you just love Cute Anecdote Monday? I'll be back to being a sarcastic c-u-Next-Tuesday tomorrow.

December 6 is also the Feast of Saint Nicholas. You can tell the kids all about how Saint Nicholas travels around at night with 6-8 of his slaves and, if you're good, you get candy stuffed in your shoes. If not, you get stuffed in a sack, beaten by the slaves, and sent to Spain. That'll get them excited about something.
ReplyDeleteZOMG. That's pretty much the best parenting advice I've ever heard. You should start a mom blog. I saw an ad on the Internet about it.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to be a mom.
ReplyDeleteIt's awesome. You barely ever shower. You don't sleep. You're constantly worried about other people's safety. Your body no longer belongs to you. For some reason, you like it anyway.
ReplyDeleteI was also totally indignant about not getting any body or blood. The first time I went to my grandparent's church, I ended up screaming and crying because I wanted a cracker and I wanted juice and I wanted them NOW! And everyone else was getting crackers and juice except for me and it WAS NOT FAIR.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I think they sell all-season clothespins at most Walgreen's. You should look into getting your mom some of those because then she wouldn't have to buy new clothespins every season :)
You should get her a bag of clothespins and then make a realistic-looking label for them that says "All-Season" or "Winter" or "Autumn/Summer."
OR make a "variety pack" by labeling each individual clothespin with a Sharpie so that there are a few for each season. Or label summer, winter and autumn but leave out spring. Tell her they were out.
I think this is a fantastic Christmas gift idea.
ReplyDeleteI just realized I'm going to post a second and completely unrelated clothespin story.
Two. stories. about. clothespins.
Blogging is my destiny.