Thursday, November 8, 2012

Things that are not sneakers

This morning, I asked my five-year-old daughter to put on sneakers. She was home sick, and I had a lot of driving to do early for work. I told her to keep her snuggly, warm pajamas on, but to add underwear, socks and sneakers.

For future reference, a list of things that are not sneakers:

  • Sparkly blue Mary Janes
  • Pink snow boots
  • Two pink child-size purses - one sparkly, one not
  • A backpack containing ginger ale and goldfish.
  • Two teddy bears, a "lovey" (a stuffed bunny head attached to a mini blanket), and a miniature lavender hippopotamus Pillow Pet
  • One paperback copy of Matilda by Roald Dahl
  • A journal with Curious George on the cover

For future reference, a list of things I did not say:

"PUT YOUR GODDAMN SNEAKERS ON YOUR MOTHERFUCKING FEET."
"Have you been taking any hallucinogenic drugs?"
"Seriously?"
"I swear to all that you hold dear that if you do not find SNEAKERS, put them on your feet, and get in the fucking car, I will throw away every other pair of shoes you own."

I consider this a victory, because last week, I did actually throw my five-year-old son's shoe in the trash can before school. He had to fish it out of there before getting on the bus, and I cried all the way to work.

6 comments:

  1. I have given up all pretenses of not swearing in front of my kids. I'm pretty sure what I do qualifies as verbal abuse 90% of the time. (And don't even get me started on the fucking morning shoe scramble...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to make them put shoes on when they wake up now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every morning I have to go through the list of shoes my Kindergartener is not allowed to wear to school.

    "No you cannot wear your bunny slippers. No you cannot wear your plastic princess dress up shoes. No you cannot wear your two-sizes-too-small tap shoes. No you cannot wear my shoes. If you don't get your sneakers (you know, the ones I make you wear EVERY OTHER MOTHER FUCKING DAY YOU GO TO SCHOOL) on RIGHT NOW we WILL miss the buss and mommy will make you walk to school barefoot."

    I'm pretty sure we'll have gotten into the grove of this whole 'real school' thing in another 10 or 12 years....

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister while driving her two children somewhere, threatened to throw her daughters shoes out the window if she didn't stop kicking the back of my sisters chair. Child started crying and older brother piped in with, "But Mom, those are her berry pavorite shoes!".

    She felt like crap the rest of the day and I couldn't stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog made me smile and laugh at the same time! I understand exactly what you are talking about!

    ReplyDelete