Wednesday, August 31, 2011

For the elegant southern lady

Some things are hard to figure out. I spent most of my brain power yesterday trying to figure out a vanity license plate I saw on the way to work.
Anyone have a good guess? It was: LITEWGT. The best I can come up with is "lightweight," but that's a stretch, right? I tried for a long time to turn it into something legal, but I can't. It would be interesting to have a vanity plate that said "litigious," though. You could be a complete dick on the roads, and no one would dare mess with you. I need to research if a bastardized spelling of it is available in my state.
So, yeah. Brain power, like I said.
In other cases, I feel my brain might too easily jump to conclusions, find entendre where perhaps none exists, and pervert otherwise innocent or classy things.
For instance, the other day, I was thumbing through one of the Responsible Lady Who Gardens, Decorates, and Practices Law in Coldwater Creek Suits magazines my parents gifted me for Christmas (as in: Maybe ditch the papasan chair, sweetheart. You're 32.)
I am kind of a magazine junkie, and this particular magazine is probably my favorite in its genre. (I know. Sorry. It's who I am.)
The changing of seasons always inspires the best issues of these magazines - seasonal recipes, decorating tips, what's happening in the garden, transitional wardrobe pieces to take you from this season to the next; from frumpy to fab; from overheated, 7 year old, dusty computer on a chipped, elementary school table you call your workspace to the dive bar where you drink a second-to-bottom-shelf beer to trick people into thinking you're of a higher economic class.
So, September is an exciting issue for the home-and-garden magazine. The editors throw some apples baked into something cinnamon-y and sugary, and I'm inspired. It's what's on the reader's mind.
This particular magazine does a lovely job with this:
Oh, this will be delicious! We should go apple picking this weekend.
Yes! I finally know how to dress like a proper southern lady-professional.
What a charming idea! I'm going to host the classiest tailgating party ever.
 Ah, yes. Food porn.
Inspiring! Maybe my fall garden won't be a lot of sticks in the ground surrounded by crabgrass.
I hate these ads. Before I really start reading the articles, I'd better rip out all these order forms.
I'll just crease this card and rip it out.
Wait.

It's not just me, right? Because I'm starting to feel like a failure as a lady and an intellect.

17 comments:

  1. My office mate is looking at me oodly because I am laughing, loudly, at my computer.

    Interesting: we both wrote about apples and cinnamon. I so heart you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, in true southern drawl fashion they left off the last r. For perfect southern enunciation I think it should have an h on the end, though. I give them a solid 7.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when does the wood ever NOT matter? i mean, if you're going to use it, you need it to be solid wood. hardwood. right? accept no substitutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was that warm apple pie in that skillet? Mmmmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got me with Papasan chair and I was toast before I even got to "Bona."

    Tip: Turn the frame upside down and stick a little kid underneath for a rousing game of "Jungle Baby." I'm free to babysit, anytime, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woot! Bona, right up there with the now defunct "You bet your sweet Aspercreme."

    And I ask you, Bona, when doesn't the wood matter?

    ReplyDelete
  7. LITEWGT

    simple.

    Lit' Ewgt.

    clearly a gansta alias.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Giggity.

    To be honest, I didn't even make it to the big reveal. I saw "Bona" and then thought "boner" but in, like, a Boston accent and then kind of lost it from there...maniacal laughing and what not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice pictures. Though I must admit that I am disappointed that none of them are of the blanched bowel movements you were anticipating a few blog posts ago. Tease.

    Did you ever poop white? Inquiring minds want to know. And if you did, how did you know when you were done wiping?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wiping? That's for pussies. I haven't wiped my ass since 1985. I remember it well because it was the night Betty Ford fell off the methadone wagon for that last time and sucked off Soupy Sales in front of the 700 Club on an HBO special. That bitch was fuuuuuuuucked up! I laughed so hard when Soupy busted a nut on Betty Ford's forehead I shit myself. Now, the kicker was that I had only an hour before eaten like a fucking gallon of onion dip, so my internals were aplenty loose, if you know what I'm sayin.' So, when Soupy let that goopy shot out and it landed SMACK! right between Betty's eyes, I laughed until shit ran down my leg and into my Red Converse All Stars. Paid fucking $25 for those things and couldn't wear 'em again. I mean, have you ever tried to get the smell of onion dip shit out of a sneaker? Fuck that cuz it ain't happening. ... ... Errrr, what was I talking about again? Fuck, I'm high as shit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It'd be FAR catchier of a name than Viagra is. Just sayin'....

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, it's definitely not just you.
    i'll be a "lady" the day they drag me kicking and screaming through cotillion school. and i'm too OLD for cotillion school, so HA!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Test comment. Someone can't comment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I dare you to properly explain to me what is wrong with papasan chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. KLZ - Is what I'm saying! *fist bump*

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.


    ___________________________________________

    Tera Items
    cheapest wow gold
    Tera Gold

    Cheap Tera Gold
    Runescape Gold
    lotro gold

    ReplyDelete