We walked into this locally-owned, independent wonderland of playtime, and the owner smiled. I let L wear her fancy coat even though she was wearing play clothes and we were having a lazy day.
Inside, I barely got her past the wall lined with bins of tiny toys - rubber bumblebees, tiny wooden sailboats, echoing microphones, and snakes of all colors and sizes, made of wood and rubber. She loves snakes.
Finally, I told her we had to keep walking because we had a goal. Next weekend, we would go see Santa, and although she knew she would ask for a doll, she didn't know what kind. Santa prefers details.
Past the bins, against the wall, was a lighted glass case, stretching to the ceiling. At the top were the most fragile dolls, at the bottom, plastic and cloth dolls. I pointed out an Eloise doll, with a cloth face, beautifully painted features, messy hair, untucked shirt and crooked bow - all things that symbolize Eloise's personality, with which L identifies.
There was a delicate, porcelain Madame Alexander Cinderella, barely six inches tall, with an ice blue dress frosted with silver glitter and thread. Her signature red bow lips accentuated her rosy cheeks, her hair was perfectly coiffed.
A mermaid version of Fancy Nancy stood behind the floppy Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy, who smiled sloppily, impossibly, to each side.
Next to Eloise, though, was a standing twelve-inch, vinyl Madame Alexander with a red hooded cape, dark hair and eyes and a basket. "Ohh!" L said. "Yook at the Wed Widing Hood!"
Still, she was unimpressed. We went through the store, looking at other dolls, stuffed animals, games, dress-ups and puppets. Finally, I told her we needed to decide what she wanted from Santa.
"I want to go see that Duck again," she said.
"The duck?" I asked.
"Yes, the bunny one."
"Ohhh! I know which one! That's Jemima Puddle Duck," I told her, and I led her to the back of the book section, where Jemimah rested on a high shelf.
"No, not that one," she said.
"But, this is the one next to Peter Rabbit," I told her.
"No. Not the bunny one," L corrected. "The funny one. You know. The one that squeaks?"
Confused, I led her around the store, checking out the rubber duckies (no), the chirping carved birds (no), a box of fluffy baby chicks (no again).
"L, I don't know what it is," I told her.
She started leading me around, as she looked inside shelves and around corners.
Finally, she exclaimed, "Here it is!" and fell to her knees in front of a shelf in the middle of the store.
There, she picked up a toy about the size of my hand. With dangling feet and yellow skin, it was not what I expected my sweet girl to choose.
"That, L," I told her, "Is a rubber chicken."
"That's it!" she declared. "I'm going to ask Santa for that."
Satisfied, she led me out of the store. A girl after my own heart.
Yes. I like her very much. Perhaps she'd like a whoopie cushion in lieu of a Pillow Pet?
ReplyDeletehaha! awwwwww. so cute!
ReplyDeletethough i'd maybe shove one of the other dolls inside the rubber chicken. just in case...
i love it when they're cheap!
ReplyDeleterubber chicken beats creepy glass-eyes doll anyvday!
ReplyDeleteRubber chicken, check. Get her some Groucho Marx glasses for Valentine's Day and a cream pie for Easter, and she'll be ready for the road.
ReplyDeleteawwww too cute. Sometimes it doesn't take much does it?
ReplyDeleteomg, that's awesome!!
ReplyDeleteDo they still make seltzer bottles? Maybe she'd like a sledgehammer and a watermelon? I think God gave you a cool kid.
ReplyDeleteI love it when kids are easy to buy for! It seems like the adults are the ones who make Christmas expensive when the kids are little. (I know I do)
ReplyDeleteshe's your child!
ReplyDeletekid's gonna be a comic. should a mother be more proud?
Looks like the Marx brother doesn't fall far from the Kayak, eh?
ReplyDeleteThe kid has great taste.
ReplyDeleteI think if I could be sure of producing a child who took a shine to rubber chickens, we would have definitively settled on having large numbers of children long ago.
ReplyDeleteYou know, you can get a real chicken from the Asian grocery store, with the head on it and everything. That would be even more special.
ReplyDeleteAwesome! I want a rubber chicken too now. :D
ReplyDeleteYour kid managed to a make a rubber chicken joke funny! She's a comic genius.
ReplyDeleteI've come late to the party, but here I am and it reminds me. Little Hoody had a rubber chicken. She also had a two foot tall Godzilla that wore her old coat and went with her everywhere like an exremely unattractive sibling. And wore a Burger King crown and Mr. Potato Head's glasses. And she turned out ok - didn't she?
ReplyDelete